Software Engineer, Backend
Aspiration · Los Angeles, CA/Remote
Poverty Alleviation & Economic DevelopmentPosted 4 months ago
At Aspiration, we created the category of sustainable, socially responsible retail consumer finance. We offer unique financial products to let people save, spend, and invest their money in ways that make them more financially secure and align with their personal values. Unlike other financial institutions, Aspiration is committed to building a relationship with our customers based on trust and aligning the customer’s success with our own. Aspiration has raised over $250M in funding to date, and is growing quickly.
Aspiration’s backend is transitioning to Golang microservice and serverless codes for the AWS platform. We’re looking for experienced backend engineers to speed our development of high performance, secure financial services technology. Our team values clean and clear server side code, using “best of” tools from the Golang ecosystem, and is excited about enabling Aspiration’s mission with the next generation of backend technology.
Action: We take initiative. We are doers, not bystanders.
Boldness: We don’t tinker, we transform.
Customer-Centered: Our customers are at the core of our business. Delivering for them is our North Star.
Diligence & Dedication: We do what we say we’re going to do, when we say we’re going to do it.
Entrepreneurial: Act like an entrepreneur not an employee, generate results for the company and customers everyday.
What You'll Do
- Make technical decisions that improve the codebase while minimizing risk
- Play a key role in mapping the expanding needs of the business into innovative technical solutions within a highly scalable and event-driven architecture
- Tackle projects and problems of significantly larger scope
- Coordinate and communicate seamlessly across other technical and product teams
- Be a leader and mentor to other team members, contributing to code reviews and other team processes
What You'll Bring
- 2+ years of experience writing code for a backend framework, preferably Golang, Ruby/Rails, Python/Django
- SQL code experience, e.g., joins and nested queries (we work close to the data.) If you’ve logged out and explained ORM queries, you’re in good shape here
- A modest (or immodest) Golang project
- Understanding of REST API design and CRUD
- GraphQL experience: schema design, resolver logic and code, etc.
- Swagger basics, either as code first or design first.
- Protocol buffers, especially the Golang protoc compiler and plugins.
- Code for producer/consumer event-based messaging, e.g., using RabbitMQ, AWS SNS/SQS
- Time on a scrum managed project: daily standups, kanban tracked tickets, etc.
- Continuous integration tools, e.g., Docker, CircleCI
What You'll Get
- Work for a mission-driven company to transform the lives of millions by building a better, values-oriented financial firm
- Competitive Salary and Equity Incentives
- Robust Healthcare Plans (medical, dental, vision)
- 401K & Unlimited Vacation Time
- Diverse & Inclusive Culture