Lead Software Engineer
Aspiration · Los Angeles, CA/Remote
Poverty Alleviation & Economic DevelopmentPosted 2 months ago
At Aspiration, we created the category of sustainable, socially responsible retail consumer finance. We offer unique financial products to let people save, spend, and invest their money in ways that make them more financially secure and align with their personal values. Unlike other financial institutions, Aspiration is committed to building a relationship with our customers based on trust and aligning the customer’s success with our own. Aspiration has raised over $250M in funding to date, and is growing quickly.
Action: We take initiative. We are doers, not bystanders.
Boldness: We don’t tinker, we transform.
Customer-Centered: Our customers are at the core of our business. Delivering for them is our North Star.
Diligence & Dedication: We do what we say we’re going to do, when we say we’re going to do it.
Entrepreneurial: Act like an entrepreneur not an employee, generate results for the company and customers everyday. Values
Aspiration’s backend is utilizing Golang microservice and serverless codes for the AWS platform. We’re looking for experienced backend engineers to speed our development of high performance, secure financial services technology. Our team values clean and clear server side code, using “best of” tools from the Golang ecosystem, and is excited about enabling Aspiration’s mission with the next generation of backend technology.
What You'll Do
- Make implementation decisions that minimize tech debt and maximize developer productivity
- Apply best practices and detailed design to Aspiration’s highly scalable and event-driven architecture
- Tackle projects that extend Aspiration’s cohesive suite of financial service products
- Coordinate and communicate across other technical and product teams as a subject matter expert in specific services and codebases
- Be a leader and mentor, contribute to code reviews, overall architecture, and SDLC processes
- Be a cornerstone contributor to Aspiration’s tech culture: highlight new tech, lead our evolution of tools and techniques, present to groups large and small
What You'll Bring
- 6+ years of experience writing code for a backend framework, preferably Golang, Ruby/Rails, Python/Django/Flask
- SQL code experience, e.g., joins and nested queries (we work close to the data.) If you’ve logged and EXPLAINed ORM queries, you’re in good shape here
- A modest (or immodest) Golang project
- Understanding of REST API design and CRUDRUD
- Google Protocol buffers (GRPC), especially the Golang protoc compiler and Twirp: https://twitchtv.github.io/twirp/docs/intro.html
- Swagger basics, either as code first or design first.
- GraphQL experience: schema design, resolver logic and code, etc.
- Code and systems engineering for producer/consumer event-based messaging, e.g., using RabbitMQ, AWS SNS/SQS
- Worked on a scrum managed project: daily standups, sprint or kanban tracked tickets, grooming, story point estimation, etc.
- Continuous integration tools, e.g., Docker, CircleCI, Github Actions
- Training and experience with software security best practices, e.g., OWASP
What You'll Get
- Work for a mission-driven company to transform the lives of millions by building a better, values-oriented financial firm
- Competitive Salary and Equity Incentives
- Robust Healthcare Plans (medical, dental, vision)
- 401K & Unlimited Vacation Time
- Diverse & Inclusive Culture