Vice President, Data and Analytics
Achievement Network · Remote (USA)
WHO WE ARE
Every student deserves opportunities in life, and every educator committed to providing those opportunities deserves support. Those beliefs drive us to work alongside schools to support great teaching so that we can work towards guaranteeing that all students are receiving high quality instruction. We partner with over 900 schools - both district and charter - in underserved communities around the country, thus impacting more than 330,000 students. Third-party evaluations confirm that when schools have the right basic conditions in place and partner with ANet, they achieve 6-8 months of additional learning over a two-year period compared to schools not partnering with ANet.
At ANet we are committed to living out our core values, both across our organization and with our partner schools. We acknowledge that systemic inequities impact student access to opportunities and that in order to ensure educational equity for all students, we must center on the experiences of those from marginalized communities to guide our work. We work to deepen our understanding of how race, class, power and privilege influence the education system as well as influence our own perspectives. To do so, we provide ongoing learning opportunities through org-wide professional development, affinity groups, working groups, and resource sharing.
Individuals who join ANet have the opportunity to be part of a dynamic, values driven, and team-oriented organization that is committed to having impact in schools by investing in each other and learning together. We were named as The NonProfit Times “Best Nonprofits to Work For” and work tirelessly to foster a working environment where the unique perspectives, backgrounds, and identities of our staff members are valued.
We are seeing a Vice President of Data and Analytics to set ANet’s organization-wide vision for understanding the impact of our work and supporting our efforts at continuous improvement while managing and developing a multi-disciplinary team to drive that vision. In this role you will take on a critical leadership role working collaboratively across teams to build truly distinctive methods for learning how we best support equitable instruction in classrooms serving marginalized students across the country. The Vice President of Data and Analytics reports to the Chief Strategy Officer and is the ideal position for someone who has a passion for marrying disciplined evaluation and analysis with practical, on-the-ground support of educators.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Set a clear vision for ANet’s overall data and evaluation strategy
● Work side by side with the leaders of our program design and service delivery teams to refine the outcomes we target through each of our service and product offerings
● Ensure that the frameworks and measurement systems we use to understand our progress toward those outcomes are coherent, partner aligned, objective, and efficient
● Design our overall evaluation strategy to ensure that we have clearly defined research questions and we get the right balance between rigorous understanding of our impact and responsive, relevant service to schools and systems
● Ensure we draw on the best research literature available to define the outcomes we target and to shape the methodology we use to collect data about our impact
● Oversee our data collection and data governance efforts to ensure that we are using data consistently, effectively, and accurately across the organization and that our data collection methodologies, tools, and infrastructure meet the needs of stakeholders
● Work collaboratively across the organization to ensure we have strong and connected internal information systems that allow us to operate as “one team” in the eyes of a partner
● Push our team to innovate in terms of the types of analyses we do, the tools we use to collect data, the insights we seek, and other areas
Lead the Data and Analytics team to equip ANet with the tools and data we need to help us understand our performance and identify opportunities for improvement
● Set a vision for each of the functions that make up the Data and Analytics team:
○ Measurement and Evaluation - helps to identify the outcomes we target, designs and launches evaluations to understand our impact, and works with external partners to conduct third-party evaluations
○ Analytics and Data Governance - conducts internal analyses to understand our impact on school practice, student achievement, and other key areas; also ensures that we use data consistently and strategically across our different platforms
○ Data Engineering - builds a robust and versatile infrastructure for storing and mobilizing ANet’s data
○ Data Science - explores opportunities for innovation and conducts advanced analytics with big data
● Build a strong and diverse team with a positive, inclusive culture that brings out each team member’s strengths and that aligns to ANet’s mission and core values
● Lead and manage the team, which includes a diverse range of skills and tenure levels (from Junior Analyst to Managing Director)
○ Set clear goals for the team
○ Develop team members to continuously improve by providing high impact feedback and managing team members towards excellence in their work
○ Manage through layers to ensure the accuracy, coherence, timeliness, and relevance of the team’s different bodies of work
○ Act as a conduit across different team members where needed to ensure different work streams are in sync and that the team is coherently pursuing its goals
○ Identify and engage outside partners where needed to build the team’s skill, conduct third-party evaluations, or package results for external sharing
● Ensure the team is connecting appropriately with other teams at ANet and that the work of the Data and Analytics team is furthering the overall objectives and needs of the organization
Lead ANet’s continuous improvement cycle
● Manage our Data and Analytics team to effectively execute annual learning and evaluation plans for our product and service offerings alongside key stakeholders on our Program, Service, and other teams
● Ensure that we codify learning from our pilots (e.g. increased support for social emotional learning, partnerships focused on anti-racism) to inform our broader program design and service delivery
● Convey findings from our evaluations in a clear, compelling manner that enables action
WHO YOU ARE & WHAT YOU BRING
In order to be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
● You have prior experience and success designing and leading program evaluations and/or projects to develop validated educational outcomes for scaling organizations.
● You have deep knowledge of education research, including the literature describing the outcomes that are most important for student success, the evaluation methodologies and instruments used in that literature, and areas of active research.
● You have prior experience working in an education service or delivery organization and understand how to balance quality evaluation with the day-to-day realities of educating students.
● You have led the implementation of strategic initiatives or projects.
● You have prior experience and success leading high-functioning, cross-organizational teams (matrix and direct reports) to design and execute data-driven, org-wide growth and impact strategies.
● You bring proficiency and versatility with Excel, at least one statistical analysis software package (R, SAS, Stata, or SPSS), and at least one data science coding language (e.g., Python) and are confident in advising others on matching the right analytic tool to the analytic task at hand.
● You excel at working with large, often new datasets, always in service of gleaning value for a range of stakeholders in order to shape an organization’s decision-making and strategy.
● You are optimistic that all of our schools can be successful if we learn together and that comes through in your facility with analyzing information and communicating complex findings to both technical and non-technical audiences.
● You bring proficiency with data visualization software (i.e. Tableau) and website usage analytics and software tools (Google Analytics).
● You understand emergent data science technologies (including but not limited to machine learning), and are able to evaluate their potential for capturing value across a range of organizational and school needs.
● You are confident in owning large-scale projects end-to-end, particularly in situations with high levels of ambiguity, because of your careful planning, time management, detail orientation, and prioritization skills.
● You are willing to take initiative, ask for feedback, and consistently reflect on ways to improve. You are eager to both teach and acquire new statistical and technical skills.
● You are motivated by working in an environment where we live out our core values daily and are eager to examine personal archetypes and biases while discussing topics related to race, class, and privilege which relate to ANet’s Advance Equity and People Matter values.
Ideal candidates may also demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
● Degree in quantitative field, program evaluation, analytics, or statistics
● SQL proficiency
WHAT WE OFFER
ANet offers highly competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where ANet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; generous paid time-off including: vacation, 10 paid holidays with paid days off between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays, a paid floating holiday, paid sick & personal days; paid parental leave; retirement plan options; commuter benefits; tuition reimbursement; flexible spending accounts; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance.
HOW TO APPLY
We are now accepting applications for this position, which will be reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please click on the blue “Apply” button.
ANet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.