News Revenue Hub · Remote
Starting salary: $100,000 per year
Location: Remote (Permanent)
Reports to: VP of Technology
The News Revenue Hub is looking for a product manager who will help the organization design new technology products and oversee improvement of current products that support newsroom clients, their donors, and our staff.
As product manager, you are great at managing relationships, collaborating, and influencing across a variety of organizational functions. Empathy and communication skills are key in this role, as you will work with many stakeholders.
You understand the importance of user experience and have good design knowledge. You are committed to modern standards of accessibility. You are adept at both proactively and passively collecting product requirements; understanding customer needs; and working with team members to make decisions. You strive to make data-driven decisions, but you can also make recommendations with imperfect information and you are good at distilling concepts into tangible actionable requirements that engineering teams can build.
Finally, you possess a unique blend of technical and business savvy. You enjoy learning about market problems, and identifying innovative ways to solve them. You are able to balance usefulness with profitability, and the idea of building tools that both serve the industry and improve the Hub’s sustainability appeals to you.
- Gain a deep understanding of customer experience, identify and fill product gaps and generate new ideas that grow market share, improve customer experience and drive growth.
- Oversee the development and go-to-market strategy for new Hub products, including but not limited to:
- A major update to the contribution management system used by our current customers.
- A scalable contribution management system that we intend to offer future customers.
- Technology tools that connect the different services our customers use.
- Plan for post-MVP and test with users to validate commercial opportunities and understand gaps.
- Create user stories for current and future products based on the market’s problems. Gather feedback that reflects the voice of the customer, whether internal or external.
- Use existing and independent research to gather specifications for additional product priorities, including business development tools; integrated email marketing; reporting on donor lifecycle and dashboards; data warehouse; and more. Scope and prioritize activities based on internal goals and customer impact.
- Develop and oversee a roadmap for our products to illustrate our vision and plan into the future.
- Work with internal stakeholders to manage the product life cycle from sunsetting legacy products to prototyping and testing new features/products and ideas. Collaborate with stakeholders on messaging these changes.
- Keep a finger on the pulse of our competition, and develop strategies and tactics to keep our edge.
- Work with leadership and other stakeholders to develop product pricing strategies when necessary.
- Communicate with clients about product rollouts and get client feedback.
- Proven work experience in product management or user experience; passionate about building products that serve the common good.
- Strong analytical and synthesis skills, including the ability to absorb and process input into actionable information. Ability to gather and use data to drive decision-making.
- Understanding and/or hands-on experience in software development and web technologies.
- Strong understanding of user experience principles and analytics. Experience customizing Google Analytics is a plus.
- Proven ability to develop product strategies and sell your recommendations to leadership, engineering, and business development.
- Experience with best practice agile scrum development and lean startup principles.
- Proficient in tools such as Trello, Basecamp, Confluence, Jira. Salesforce is helpful.
- Excellent people and management skills to interact with staff, colleagues, cross-functional teams and third parties.
- Experience with products related to nonprofit fundraising, grassroots marketing, email marketing, online subscriptions/paywalls, is helpful.
- No: Not providing sponsorship for this job
- This job does not have supervisory responsibilities.
About News Revenue Hub
We are a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to helping news outlets develop stronger business models. We provide a robust technology infrastructure specifically designed for journalism fundraising, along with customized strategies for audience and membership and donor development.
We work with over 60 news organizations and have had the opportunity to work on projects with big impact. Our approach to sustainability is holistic and we work closely with editors and audience strategists as we do with membership officers and fundraisers.
News Revenue Hub works with news organizations to implement fundraising models, automate time consuming processes, conduct experiments, adopt best practices, and more. Our mission is to help newsrooms achieve financial sustainability and take on the heavy lifting so our members can focus on what they do best: producing high quality journalism.
Benefits of working at the Hub include:
- 100% remote team with post-pandemic potential travel
- Full health benefits (medical, dental,vision).
- 401k plan with 5% match
- Home office stipend and cell phone reimbursement
- Flexible work hours with a generous vacation policy
- Life insurance
- Annual performance reviews with merit-based increases and opportunities for advancement
The deadline to apply is August 1, 2021.