Data Governance Manager
Patagonia · Remote (USA)
Data, Reporting, & Analytics is a team whose mission is to enable faster, optimized decisions for the entire business. We do this by collaboratively designing and implementing solutions to cross-functional business problems. We focus on data, reporting, and analytical solutions, and we facilitate data- and Business Intelligence (BI)-related process design, documentation, training, and governance.
We aspire to faster data discovery and time-to-insight by creating a widely shared understanding of all data assets. We see this role as a catalyst for unlocking efficiency, speed, and greater value in analytical workstreams by deploying an active, responsive, and resilient data governance model.
What You’ll Do
- Design, evangelize, and implement an enterprise master data and metadata strategy roadmap for active data governance over data assets across all domains and platforms.
- Collaboratively develop and implement governance policies and processes that balance centralized control and standardization with decentralized speed and flexibility
- Quantify and communicate the value of master data and metadata.
- Serve as Lead Catalog Steward and Change Manager, driving adoption, engagement, and collaboration; partner cross-functionally to identify data stewards.
- Oversee implementation and ongoing administration of a modern metadata system.
- Evaluate, monitor, maintain, communicate data quality status across assets
- Effectively lead cross functional data governance/steward committees
- Guide consolidation of a fragmented landscape of data assets
- Define and oversee development of robust data audits to flag and communicate data quality issues – and create closed loop businesses process to resolve them.
- Partner with business & IT to identify and facilitate quick resolution of data quality issues
- Ensure SDLC processes incorporate sufficient data quality validation within test plans; participate in the testing process, as needed
- Identify opportunities for process improvement and increased automation to drive efficiencies – prepare justification and provides leadership to help implement
Who You Are
- Able to lead courageously, challenge the status quo, influence change, follow through, and keep your sense of humor through it all.
- Able to listen with curiosity and patience, ask discerning questions, solve problems holistically with a consulting mindset.
- Able to communicate persuasively and concisely with audiences of varying seniority and functional scope.
- Able to work with minimal guidance and under time pressure with a bias for action in the face of uncertainty.
- Able to build consensus across different functions and among colleagues of varying seniority
- Comfortable with team-based, collaborative work structure, and able to remain flexible with changes in work environment and scope of responsibility.
- Comfortable with occasional domestic and/or global travel using various forms of transportation
What You Bring:
- Experience that demonstrates the above
- Relevant subject matter expertise at a bachelor’s degree level, or equivalent in ongoing self-education and work experience of approximately 5-8 years
- Knowledge of full-spectrum data management and enabling technologies
- Program management experience, ideally with experience overseeing large IT projects
- Integrity, grit, and a passion for Patagonia’s mission
- Familiarity/experience with modern data and BI tools/technologies
- Familiarity/experience with data transformation/modeling and visualization languages/tools
- Ideally, experience in B-Corp and/or outdoor retail apparel company.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers, and vendors.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law.