Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Kiva · Portland, OR /San Francisco, CA/ Remote
Kiva (kiva.org) is an international nonprofit with a mission to expand financial access to help underserved communities thrive. We run a global marketplace platform to crowdfund microloans for financially excluded entrepreneurs, farmers and students around the world. Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to create impact and opportunity at global scale. Since 2005, we have raised more than $1.57 billion in loan capital for 3.9 million borrowers in 98 countries. Our lenders fund over $10 million in loans every month. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva's team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide. Our team is growing as we pursue exciting new opportunities to create a financially inclusive world.
Impact first - This is why we exist. This is the drumbeat we march to. Every day.
Extreme ownership - Own it; you, your relationships, your impact. Insist that others support you and hold you accountable.
Be curious and bold - Never stop learning. Question assumptions. Take Risks and dream big.
Inclusion. Equity. Diversity. - Without reservation and without caveat. In our hiring, in our workplace and in our impact in the world.
Honor and integrity - Do the most right thing in the most right way. Cherish diversity and respect each other.
Love and kindness always - Say what you mean. Mean what you say. And don't say it mean. Clarity. Courage. Kindness.
As a Senior Site Reliability Engineer, you’ll join a small, established SRE team at Kiva. With the team, you’ll play a key role in defining and building backend services, automation and devops tooling as we evolve and scale our AWS-based infrastructure.
You’ll be our ideal candidate if you know that effective communication is among the most important tools in your toolbox, are dedicated to always looking for how things can be improved, refining your craft, and geeking out on emerging technologies, and are excited by the idea of joining our mission to advance global financial equity in collaboration with dedicated, passionate teammates.
This role is open to both remote U.S. based candidates and candidates local to our Portland or San Francisco offices, and will report to an Engineering Manager based in Portland. At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
At this time, we can only consider applicants with authorization to work in the United States on a permanent, full-time basis; unfortunately we cannot provide visa sponsorship.
Key responsibilities include:
- Strong knowledge and hands on experience with
- Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Writing maintainable code, with a preference for JVM languages (Java, Kotlin, etc.)
- Experience building automated workflows and reducing toil using Python or similar scripting languages
- Monitoring and reporting systems.
- Event driven architecture (using Kafka or similar)
- Container based development (Docker and Kubernetes)
- Continuous integration and Deployment tooling
- LAMP Stack or similar (Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP)
- Disaster recovery drills, best practices server management, rotating on-call duties and incident responses
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline or equivalent experience
- Experience working with complex e-commerce systems
- Experience in platform (back end) development experience
- Experience using and/or creating GraphQL APIs and Restful APIs
What we offer:
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
We will only accept applications directly from candidates. Kiva will not be responsible for any recruiting agency fees, absent a formal agreement.