Lead Software Engineer
Renaissance · Remote (USA)
When you join Renaissance®, you join a global leader in pre-K–12 education technology. Renaissance’s solutions help educators analyze, customize, and plan personalized learning paths for students, allowing time for what matters—creating energizing learning experiences in the classroom.
Our fiercely passionate employees and educational partners have helped drive phenomenal student growth, with Renaissance solutions being used in over one-third of US schools and in more than 100 countries worldwide! Every day, we are connected to our mission by exemplifying our values: trust each other, win together, strive for the best, own our actions, and grow and evolve.
Schoolzilla’s Engineering team is responsible for empowering school systems across the country to take action based on data by delivering timely, accurate, and useful data. As a member of this team, you’ll be driving product innovation. You’ll collaborate with product managers, designers, and your teammates to take ideas from concept to reality, utilizing your full range of technical skills and a healthy dose of user empathy.
In this role, you will:
● Craft fault-tolerant UIs and microservices that can deliver beautiful analytical
experiences that scale by millions of students
● Solve complex data delivery problems to provide performant, real-time ad hoc aggregate
● Partner with a collaborative, lively team of engineers and product owners to target new
features and products that will delight users
● Advocate for code development and delivery improvements to ensure well-tested code is
shipped early+often and is actively monitored once in the wild
● Develop and improve internal services, scripts, and tools that will be leveraged
throughout the company
For this role, you must have:
● Experience developing single page applications utilizing frameworks such as Angular, React, or Vue
● Experience designing, implementing, and supporting modern, enterprise-scale
● Proven fluency in one or more major programming languages, such as Python or Java
● Proficiency with utilizing major relational databases, such as MS SQL Server and
● Knowledge of modern, cloud-based web architecture and best practices
● Experience working in an Agile software development organization
● Mission-Driven: You feel a deep sense of ownership for your work, and a relentless desire to deliver better results. You are passionate about solving problems for our users.
● A Lifelong Learner: You love learning new things. You're curious and ask good
questions. You solicit feedback from others, accept it with grace, and act on it.
● Flexible: You are comfortable with technical ambiguity and welcome rapid iteration
Bonus Points For:
● Understanding of how data is used in K-12 education
● Experience with frameworks or services we use, like Angular, SQL Server, Postgres, Flask, Redis, and Docker
● Familiarity with the tools we use, like AWS, Datadog, New Relic, Jenkins, and Rancher -plus experience with tools we don’t use, but should, and the wisdom to know when to recommend them
● Experience using non-relational data stores, such as document stores, key-value stores, and graph databases
● Experience working remotely or as part of a geographically distributed team
● Experience working in an an organization the utilizes DevOps practices
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Salary Range: $102116 - $156100 This range is based on national market data and may vary by location.
- Medical, Dental & Vision
- 401K with generous matching
- Generous Tuition & Professional Development Reimbursement
- 10+ paid holidays and Vacation Time Off
- 2 Volunteer Days off yearly
- 14 weeks fully paid family leave
At Renaissance our mission is: “To accelerate learning for all children and adults of all ability levels and ethnic and social backgrounds, worldwide.” Inherent in that guiding principle is dedication to serving all identities by recognizing the importance of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) in our organization, our work, and our products.
Frequently cited statistics show that women and underrepresented minorities will only apply to roles if they meet 100% of the qualifications. At Renaissance, we write our job descriptions to articulate our flexibility and we encourage all applications. Roles evolve over time, especially with innovation, and you may be just the person we need into the future. NO ONE ever meets 100% of the criteria in a job post. We hope you're open to learning new skills to grow with us. Make our team, your team!