Sr. Software Engineer (Back-end)
Los Angeles Times · El Segundo, CA
Join the hundreds of talented and innovative team members who are making an impact every day at California Times, incorporating Los Angeles Times and San Diego Union-Tribune, two of the most iconic media brands in the nation. Whether you love to tell compelling stories or want to drive our award-winning powerhouse in new directions, the Los Angeles Times team is the place to be.
Job Description Summary
At the Los Angeles Times and San Diego Union Tribune we have entered the next chapter and are investing in the future of journalism. Together, we are looking for a Senior Software Engineer (Back-end) whose primary focus will be designing, building, maintaining and supporting the various backend services throughout the company. He/she will work collaboratively with product management, editorial, marketing and other business units to understand the requirements and strategic initiatives, ensuring the backend services can support and scale to the business needs
- Design, develop, test, deploy, and maintain back-end services.
- Contribute to architecture requirements and decisions related to frameworks, API design, and implementation.
- Manage project priorities, deadlines and deliverables.
- 4+ years experience of professional backend development.
- Expertise in one or more of the following languages: Java, C++, Go.
- Extensive experience in REST API design and micro-service architecture.
- Experience with Docker, CI/CD, AWS services, and deployment tools.
- Excellent verbal communication skills with ability to translate technology-related jargon to diverse groups of technical and non-technical users.
- Excellent written communication skills with ability to develop technical documents.
- Self-motivation with ability to perform quality work within deadlines and budget with or without direct supervision.
- Strong analytical thinking, problem solving, appropriate judgment, and decision-making skills.
- Must be able to work cooperatively and adaptively in a team setting.
- Must be able to work under pressure, multitask and produce high quality work in a deadline driven environment.
- Must be able to utilize computers, software systems and tools.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
Thank you for your interest in joining our team at the Los Angeles Times! We look forward to reviewing your application.