Senior Product Designer
Teachers Pay Teachers · South San Francisco, CA
Freenome is hiring a Senior Software Engineer - Backend to develop software to combat cancer and other age-related diseases. You will work as part of an interdisciplinary team of engineers and scientists building end-to-end solutions for our ML team and clinical and R&D labs.
At Freenome, we’re building a multi-omics platform that ingests clinical-grade, high-dimensional, biological data for early cancer detection. We’re a diverse group of Engineers building tools and services which enable our Molecular and ML Scientists to turn great research into even better products. We will create actionable insights for health systems and will guide change for the way doctors think about early detection of colon cancer.
As a member of a fast-growing team, you’ll take the lead on major projects and collaborate actively with our world-class team of engineers, scientists, designers, and product managers. You’ll build reliable, maintainable, scalable, and fault-tolerant backend services that enable the rapid growth of our business and our mission to save lives.
Depending on your skills and our needs you'll be working on projects including ML platform development, job scheduler development, EMR system integration, and data CRUD operations and ETL. Our systems are built using the latest web software development technologies and methodologies.
- Design, develop, and deploy reliable, maintainable, scalable, and fault-tolerant backend services that power both our internal and external systems
- Collaborate with team members for code and design review
- Work with scientists, designers, product managers, and other engineers to solve complex problems in the face of lots of dynamism and uncertainty
- Take a mindful, transparent, and humane approach to your work and your interactions with others
- Guide and champion engineering hygiene and culture as a core part of the engineering backbone
What We're Looking For:
- 5+ years of experience as a part of a software development team successfully shipping a software product
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, and/or work experience
- Experience with Python or similar scripting language
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Direct experience with web service development
- The ability to thrive in an environment where collaboration, communication, and compromise are an expected part of your day-to-day work
- A mindful, transparent, and humane approach to your work and your interactions with others
Nice to Haves:
- Expertise with Python
- Experience with SQLAlchemy, Flask, or Django frameworks
- Experience in Kubernetes, Docker, PostgreSQL, Google Cloud Platform
- Previous experience leading teams or managing projects
- Understanding of, and practical experience with, statistical and machine learning methods
- Domain-specific experience in computational biology, genomics or a related field
- Direct experience with clinical interoperability standards such as FHIR, IHE ITI Profiles or HL7v2
Freenome is on a mission to empower everyone with the tools they need to detect, treat, and ultimately prevent cancer.
We have pioneered the most comprehensive multiomics platform for early cancer detection through a routine blood draw. By combining deep expertise in molecular biology with advanced computational biology and machine learning techniques to recognize disease-associated patterns among billions of circulating, cell-free biomarkers, we are developing simple and accurate blood tests for early cancer detection and integrating the actionable insights into health systems to operationalize a machine learning feedback loop between care and science.
Our recent $270 Million Series C brings our financing to over $500 million from investors, including; Bain Capital, Perceptive Advisors, RA Capital, Polaris Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, funds and accounts advised by T. Rowe Price Associates, Inc., GV (formerly Google Ventures), Roche Venture Fund, Kaiser Permanente Ventures, American Cancer Society’s BrightEdge Ventures, Data Collective Venture Capital, Novartis and Verily Life Sciences.
Freenome is building technology to advance the understanding of cancer through multiple analytes derived from blood. These signals include cell-free DNA, methylation of cell-free DNA, cell-free RNA, circulating proteins, and immune profiling derived from thousands of prospective samples. By developing novel statistical learning methods and applying them to integrate various -omics datasets, Freenome is a leader in modeling specific biological mechanisms to capture disease-dependent signatures including gene expression, immune response, tumor burden, the tissue of origin, and 3D chromatin structure.
By building comprehensive discovery datasets and modeling critical biological systems, Freenome is learning what biological changes are present within the blood between a variety of different disease states including cancer, autoimmune disorders, infections, drug response, and aging. The synthesis of Freenome’s datasets, cross-functional technical expertise, and intrepid mission to discover biological truth, we seek to improve the lives of millions through early detection and early treatment of disease.
Freenomers are technical, creative, visionary, grounded, empathetic, and passionate. We build teams around divergent expertise, allowing us to solve problems and ascertain opportunities in unique ways. Freenomers are some of the most talented experts in their fields, joining together to advance healthcare, one breakthrough at a time.
We value empathy, integrity, and trust in one another and we respect the diverse perspectives of our colleagues and of those we serve. We assume positive intent and give each other the benefit of the doubt with the firm belief that we are a team working toward the same objectives. We believe in empowering and supporting each other in a collaborative and dynamic environment.
What does a successful person look like at Freenome?
Those who thrive at Freenome prioritize, manage, and execute their own goals with ownership and in alignment with those of the company. They embrace our values of empathy, integrity, striving for greatness, servant leadership, and trust, and hold themselves and their team accountable to these values. They crave collaboration with brilliant minds from disparate fields of study and believe that hiring and mentorship are fundamental to our success. Above all, they welcome and provide constructive feedback and criticism, trusting in the good intentions of others, and being secure in the knowledge that embracing mistakes is the best way to learn and grow. For those who pursue challenges, understudied problems, and want the opportunity to see their work impact the lives of millions of people affected by cancer every year, there’s no better place to be than Freenome.
Freenome is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Freenome does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law.