Senior Software Engineer, Schools
Teachers Pay Teachers · New York, NY
What do we do?
At Teachers Pay Teachers (TpT), we're unlocking the power of educator-created content. TpT gives educators access to a trusted, one-of-a-kind community. We are the world's first marketplace of our kind and founded by a teacher, for teachers as the go-to platform for teacher-created content for nearly 15 years. We are currently serving more than 7.5 million users and more than 85% of U.S. teachers. TpT is focused on building the next generation of e-learning experiences for millions of students and teachers across the world named one of the top 50 Most Innovative Companies in the world! If you haven't heard of TpT yet and want to learn more, just ask any teacher.
The Schools Engineering team is responsible for building our next-generation product offering—TpT School Access—bringing the power TpT to schools around the world. You’ll work full-stack on a new product surface using service-oriented architecture and best-in-class technologies like React, GraphQL, TypeScript, Apollo, Serverless, and OAuth. You’ll collaborate on a diverse team partnering closely with product, design, and marketing to build in an iterative, agile way. You’ll solve big product and engineering challenges including integrating with Learning Management Systems (LMS) and building high-quality onboarding, analytics, and core product experiences for our teachers.
If you’re interested in diving deep into understanding the evolving K-12 educational landscape, working closely with teachers and principals to support learning, and building the future of TpT, then this team is a great fit for you!
As a senior software engineer on the Schools Engineering team, you will help lead the engineering team in delivering iterative value to our users while building on top of a sound technical foundation. In addition to being a prolific contributor yourself, you’ll play a key role supporting the team to introduce new technology standards and mentoring engineers. You are also expected to help the team identify and take action on process improvements that allow it to accomplish its goals more efficiently and with improving quality. Finally, you’ll be asked to take on progressively more responsibilities to lead major projects and initiatives, working across teams and functions to deliver on goals.
- Drive delivery of high-quality products and features by working with cross-functional leads (product, design, marketing) to define, scope and prioritize upcoming projects
- Provide technical oversight to engineering work on the team, participating directly in implementation as required
- Support building a healthy, inclusive team culture that emphasizes continuous learning and empowerment
- Encourage and exemplify exceptional communication and collaboration on the team leveraging these practices to help the team resolve ambiguity and make effective decisions
- Effectively scale yourself by mentoring team members to deliver high quality code while providing oversight and direction
Qualities for a successful candidate:
- Strong technical track record with deep knowledge in at least one part of the application stack (frontend or backend) and a demonstrated ability to drive systems-level architectural decisions
- Excellent verbal and written communication that is effective both amongst engineers and cross-functionally
- Able to learn and provide effective feedback to peers working on a wide breadth of technologies
- 4+ years of experience in development at scale, with clear examples of leading large, complex projects
Benefits & Perks:
At TpT, we believe the positive experience of employees is essential to growth, both individually and collectively. To achieve our mission of ‘Empowering Educators to Teach at Their Best,’ we must also empower the members of our TpT Team to work at their best. To that end, two of our core company values are “We Learn and Grow Together” and “We Enjoy the Journey.” We’ve committed to these values and to our employees through investing in added benefits and perks:
- Comprehensive Medical, Vision & Dental Benefits
- Free Telemedicine Membership - 24/7 access to trusted medical advisors
- Generous PTO (20 days) and Wellness Days (7 days)
- 5 Week “Recharge Leave” after 5 Years, to refresh and celebrate the impact you’ve had at TpT
- Generous Parental Leave for new parents (12 weeks) for time to adjust to parenthood, plus additional six weeks for the birth parent
- Onsite Parent’s Room
- ‘Employee Resource Groups’ (ERGs) to promote employee inclusivity and belonging
- Engineering Learning Fridays (ELF), to provide a space each week for Engineering teams to collaborate and learn from each other
- ‘Professional Development’ Stipend, to support the professional growth of employees (including - but not limited to - subscriptions, books, lectures, etc.)
- Annual Company Events (Camp TpT, Field Day, Hackathons, Holiday Party, Summer Picnic, Classroom Visits, etc.)
Here at TpT we value Diversity & Inclusion and encourage people to bring their most authentic selves to work. We cultivate an environment where people are recognized and celebrated for their individuality.
Any TpT applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the interview process should contact the TpT People Ops Team ([email protected]) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Finally, if you’re a California resident, California law requires that we provide you notice about the collection and use of your personal information. We encourage you to read it carefully. You can find our full notice here.