The Democratic National Committee · Remote (USA)
Public Service & Civic EngagementPosted 2 months ago
Google Cloud Platform
The Democratic National Committee’s Tech team is hiring a DevOps Engineer to manage our systems of all flavors! We're looking for someone who can ensure that the Democratic National Committee runs smoothly from a technical perspective, and make sure our systems are ready to fight to win elections in every zip code. If you have a passion to change the world, you’ll find a remarkably rewarding job, and people that you couldn't be happier to work with.
Who we are...
The Tech team is a small, fully remote team living in 19 states and from a variety of backgrounds. Some of us have worked in political campaigns, while others have worked only in industry. Together, we develop and support the technology used by candidates and organizers in all 50 states to analyze data, organize campaigns, raise money, and get out the vote on election day.
But there’s more to do. So we’re hiring product managers, engineers, researchers, designers, security experts, IT professionals, and data scientists who can leverage user-centered design and rapid iteration to develop a rich technology ecosystem for progressives—building tools ourselves as well as partnering with other companies and organizations.
We value diversity in perspective, lived experience, and the many paths one may take towards becoming an engineer. To that end, even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description, we still encourage you to apply.
Do you want to…
Secure the future of our country? Right now a lot is at stake in our country and our team has a huge opportunity to make a real difference?
Work with amazing people? We’re building a diverse, distributed team, hiring the best people we can wherever they are—alumni from past Presidential campaigns working out of DC and New York, experienced product developers from the SF Bay Area, Product Managers and Data Scientists from the midwest, and more.
Never stop learning? There are people who know about politics and people who know about technology and a few who have figured out some things about how to combine the two, but we are blazing a lot of new trails and you should be comfortable exploring and learning from everyone you can.
- Contribute to our DevOps efforts, automating deployment practices, and ensuring security best practices are maintained throughout an agile development process.
- Communicate clearly and approach problems with curiosity and humility.
- Evaluate and improve our use of cloud infrastructure providers. We currently run mostly Python applications in AWS and GCP, using Docker services like ECS and GKE. As we put existing systems on a firmer footing and develop new systems, you will help select the technologies and workflows that will let us best meet the needs of Democrats across the country.
- Act as a technical owner for infrastructure projects, ensuring we follow industry and institutional best practices. Oversee the maintenance, and support of cloud-based server infrastructure.
- Manage security infrastructure to provide cloud environments that are secure by design and by default.
- Maintain audit logging infrastructure and develop systems to identify and signal security events.
- Collaborate across the Tech team including Engineering and Security to help us incorporate operability into everything we build.
We're hard at work retooling our systems to take advantage of modern tools and techniques. We're definitely looking for someone with IT and cloud experience but don’t require previous experience in politics. If you are coming from industry, however, be aware that some things are different in the world of politics: while we've done some budget hacking so we can be competitive when it comes to salaries we know we can’t beat Google or Facebook. On the other hand, you might legit help save the world.
The Democratic National Committee (DNC), is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DNC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or disability, or any other legally protected basis. The DNC is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities in the hiring process and on the job, as required by applicable law. The DNC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.