Senior Designer (Terraso)
Tech Matters · Remote
Tech Matters is seeking a senior designer to help build the Terraso platform, an open source project delivering critical software tools to empower communities around the world to adopt sustainable practices. We support community leaders to organize, fund, and execute activities to sustain and regenerate human welfare and ecosystem health.
As the first designer for this product, you get to create a new application from scratch, helping define requirements and shaping the design process.
This role is for you if you:
- are curious, thoughtful and critical
- enjoy being a part of building something new
- are comfortable with ambiguity
- excel at collaborating with people with a wide range of talents
- have informed opinions on your craft and a willingness to both take feedback and advocate for the integrity of your work
- are comfortable taking on ownership and responsibility
- believe in the mission of Tech Matters
As a senior designer, you will:
- collaboratively define, scope, prioritize, and estimate work
- create customer journeys, prototypes, and final designs
- perform user research and testing
- serve as a fierce advocate for usability
- inspire the best in those you work with
- prioritize inclusion of diverse perspectives, making sure that it is built into our design process, feature selection, interfaces and documentation
- at least three years of experience leading design on a digital product
- experience building design systems and visual languages
- a commitment to building an inclusive and thoughtful workplace
- attention to detail and a willingness to take time to think things through and do them the right way
- excellent communication, organization, and prioritization skills
We’d be particularly delighted to hire someone who:
- is interested in or experienced with conservation, sustainability, and mapping
- has designed for users with low bandwidth and limited connectivity
- has designed a new product from the ground up
- has internationalized digital products
- cares deeply about accessibility
- can write CSS and SASS
- speaks, reads and writes two or more human languages
We don’t require:
- any particular credentials, whether educational, experiential or title-related
- experience leading a team
- prior remote work experience
The position is remote, and you’ll work with a team spread out across time zones. You can work from a location of your choice, and should be available for work from 12-5pm Eastern Time.
You should apply
Our users come from all kinds of communities, and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our organization stronger in delivering social impact. We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
We know there are great candidates who might not check all of these boxes or who possess important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
An important part of every application is a cover letter describing why this position and our mission particularly resonated with you.
The Terraso platform will consist of web services and modular applications which support local leaders in creating, funding, and executing plans to improve both environmental outcomes and human welfare. Developing this platform will require leveraging existing open source apps and systems while also building new tools.
Terraso is the technology arm of the 1000 Landscapes for 1 Billion People initiative, a collaboration with six leading global environmental organizations: Commonland, Conservation International, EcoAgriculture Partners, Landscape Finance Lab, Rainforest Alliance and the United Nations Development Programme.
We have been working with community leaders around the globe over the last 18 months to ensure that we understand their needs and priorities, and now it’s time to build! If you are excited by the challenge and the huge opportunity for social good, please join our team!
About Tech Matters
Tech Matters is a nonprofit organization utilizing the power of tech to support social sector innovators and promote large-scale social change. As tech nerds for the social sector, we identify leverage points where technology can help hundreds or thousands of social sector organizations collaborate around solving a common social or environmental problem.
We are fiscally sponsored by Benetech, Silicon Valley’s leading tech-for-good nonprofit.
Compensation varies by location.
The Salary range listed is for U.S. employees.
Outside of the U.S., we will adjust for local circumstances.
We provide medical, dental, vision, life insurance, a 401(k) with match, 20 days of vacation, 10 holidays and an education subsidy.