Software Engineer II, MarkLogic Developer
American Medical Association · Chicago, IL
Software Engineer II, MarkLogic Developer
The American Medical Association (AMA) is the nation's largest professional Association of physicians and a non-profit organization. We are a unifying voice and powerful ally for America's physicians, the patients they care for, and the promise of a healthier nation. To be part of the AMA is to be part of our Mission to promote the art and science of medicine and the betterment of public health.
We continuously work to embed equity in our internal practices and are committed to increasing the diversity of our staff across all levels of the organization. We intentionally work to create the right conditions to enable our employees to feel that they can be their authentic selves and fully participate in the life of the enterprise.
We encourage and support professional development for our employees, and we are dedicated to social responsibility. We invite you to learn more about us and we look forward to getting to know you.
We have an opportunity at our corporate offices in Chicago for a Software Engineer II, MarkLogic Developer on our Information Technology team. As a Software Engineer II, MarkLogic Developer you will analyze, design, develop and unit test software solutions (minimal to medium complexity) for business problems. Design, develop, configure, unit test, implement, upgrade, document, maintain, enhance and support various software systems. Conducts assignments as directed under moderate supervision.
- Participate in system development life-cycle for new solutions as well as enhancements; including requirements analysis, design and work estimation activities. In addition, some projects may require a more iterative approach to software development depending on the methodology being utilized. Develop exceptional software solutions to specified end user business requirements, user stories and complete unit testing for all software development.
- Participate in technology renewal activities such as applying new software upgrades, patches and completion of any required programming, testing and improvements.
- Report project status regularly to project manager. Proactively raise concerns, issues and risks regarding assignments to management in a timely manner. Share intellectual knowledge, learn and understand existing application systems, and participate in cross training with other team members. Identify opportunities to simplify and/or optimize current technology investments and/or recommend new technologies for consideration.
- Work with the designated manager to provide operational system support. Participate in “break-fix” issue resolution. Assist proper validation with end users to ensure system issue resolution.
- Completes other tasks and projects as directed.
May include other responsibilities as assigned.
- BS or BA degree in information technology or related field or equivalent experience is required.
- 4 to 6 years’ experience with software development and/or analysis in applicable information systems tools and technology. Broad technical skills necessary, with a solid understanding of implementing and deploying scalable backend architecture and how it interacts with frontend systems.
- Strong experience with XML, JSON, XQuery, XPath and XSLT are required and experience with least 1 backend programming language/environment is required.
- Strong understanding of and prior experience with NoSQL databases is required.
- Good understanding of Gradle Build Tool is required.
- Experience with Marklogic and DHF is a plus.
- Understanding of the systems development life cycle (SDLC) in a Web based development environment. Familiarity with Internet/Intranet environments required.
- Ability to develop, debug, data analysis, problem analysis, resolve issues, and unit test within web based application. Knowledge and understanding of the concepts and techniques of object oriented design development is desirable. Requires some support and guidance in some areas.
- Ability to effectively create unit test plan and ability to effectively unit test application development enhancements. Demonstrates an understanding of test driven development. Experience with automated testing tools such as Selenium a plus.
- Ability to work well with people from many different disciplines with varying degrees of technical experience and varying levels within the organization. Demonstrated ability to work well within a team of software engineers on project tasks. Understanding of non-for-profit and/or healthcare related business processes a plus.
- Ability to demonstrate effective problem solving capabilities required.
- Ability to work effectively within a team while being considerate with other team members required.
- Experience with version control software and source code repositories such as Bitbucket and GitHub is a plus.
- Experience with more agile based or iterative software development methodologies a plus.
- Understanding of relational database technology preferred.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously. Manages own time effectively and requires minimal supervision.
- Ability to express technical concepts effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to travel occasionally, work long hours and meet with vendors and mid-level business leaders.
The American Medical Association is located at 330 N. Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 and is convenient to all public transportation in Chicago.
We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity in our workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. As an EOE/AA employer, the American Medical Association will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and veteran or disability status.
THE AMA IS COMMITTED TO IMPROVING THE HEALTH OF THE NATION