The Democratic National Committee · Remote (US)
Public Service & Civic EngagementPosted 2 months ago
Google Cloud Platform
The Democratic National Committee’s Tech team is hiring engineers to work on tools to help candidates win elections and to empower progressives across the country. The Tech team works closely with campaigns, state parties and the political ecosystem to provide the tools and data they need to win. We need software engineers from many different backgrounds to help us build the technological infrastructure needed by candidates running for everything from the school board to the presidency.
This role is a remote role, on a remote-first team.
Who we are
The Tech team is a small, diverse team that develops and supports technology used by candidates and organizers across the United States to analyze data, organize campaigns, raise money, and get out the vote on election day. You can read more about us on our blog on Medium.
We value diversity in perspective, lived experience, and the many paths one may take towards becoming an engineer. To that end, even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description, we still encourage you to apply.
Do you want to…
- Secure the future of our country? A lot is at stake and our team has a huge opportunity to make a real difference.
- Work with amazing people? We have built a diverse, distributed team, hiring the best people we can wherever they are—alumni from past Presidential campaigns, experienced product developers, e-commerce veterans, and more.
- Never stop learning? We are blazing a lot of new trails and you should be comfortable exploring and learning from everyone you can.
- Communicate clearly and approach problems with curiosity and humility.
- Work on many kinds of systems, from the plumbing of ETL jobs to front end applications used by teams at the DNC, by campaigns across the country, and by thousands of volunteers and millions of voters. Some of our engineers are generalists who can pitch in on any of these; others provide deeper expertise in one area or another.
- Dive into a stack that is heavily composed of Python and React webapps, data pipelines involving Apache Airflow, and the wide BigQuery ecosystem.
- Write code that interacts with SQL, support and work closely with data analysts, and probably write a bunch of your own SQL.
- Work with fellow engineers, product designers, and people who use our products to provide great user experiences.
- Collaborate with peers within the DNC and our ecosystem to discover the best technology to help Democrats get elected.
- Build for the long run, knowing that the mission of the Tech team is to continually improve the technology available to Democrats from campaign to campaign and election to election.
Tech we work with often includes…
- Django applications
- React front-ends
- Google BigQuery and the related ecosystem
- Apache Airflow and similar job runners
- Cloud computing in AWS and GCP
- Hashicorp Terraform for infrastructure-as-code
We don’t require experience with a specific set of skills, but if you’re not familiar with the above tools, you’ll definitely ramp up on them as an Engineer on the DNC Tech Team! We're committed to learning on the job, and we’re looking for strong generalists who can roll up their sleeves and apply their experience to our distributed team. We are a remote-first organization, with teammates from both coasts and many places in between, and work closely with colleagues in DC. We’re looking for folks who already have software engineering experience, but we do not require previous experience in politics! If you are coming from the tech industry, you’ll probably find that politics is a different world with its own set of challenges and frustrations. On the other hand, the impact and importance of your work cannot be overstated. The work you’ll do at the DNC will support campaigns, voters, and folks all across the country.
The Democratic National Committee (DNC), is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The DNC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or disability, or any other legally protected basis. The DNC is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities in the hiring process and on the job, as required by applicable law. The DNC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.