National Data Director, All Voting is Local
The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights · Washington, DC
Who We Are:
The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, a 501(c)(4) organization, is the premier coalition of more than 200 organizations which promotes and protects civil and human rights in America. The Leadership Conference has coordinated national lobbying efforts on behalf of every major civil rights law since 1957. To learn more about The Leadership Conference, please visit www.civilrights.org.
The Leadership Conference Education Fund, a 501(c)(3) organization, builds public will for federal policies that promote and protect civil and human rights in the US. Founded in 1969 as the education and research arm of The Leadership Conference, the Education Fund’s campaigns empower advocates to push for progressive change in the US. To learn more about the Education Fund, please visit www.leadershipconferenceedfund.org.
About the Role:
The Leadership Conference Education Fund’s All Voting is Local project seek a National Data Director for a campaign to defend and expand access to the ballot by identifying and fighting voter suppression at the local level. The National Data Director will develop a data and analytics strategy in support of the All Voting is Local campaign to ensure that data resources are fully integrated into all programming and advocacy work. The role requires strong communication skills to interact effectively with various internal and external stakeholders to develop the strategy and partnerships. The Data Director will work in collaboration with partner organizations and report to the All Voting is Local Campaign Director.
What You Will Do:
- Lead efforts to craft and drive a scalable data acquisition strategy that yields a sufficiently robust and high quality dataset upon which to build models and tools
- Have a strong base of data knowledge and creativity to identify data sources and work with public records and vendors, as needed, to acquire data sources to support programming and advocacy
- Assist partner organizations in developing and implementing their own data strategies
- Establish policies and procedures on data standards, best practices, and organizational structure
- Enforce robust and secure data governance practices
- Other duties as assigned
- Direct strategic planning, staffing, and operations for research, and serve as a thought partner to the organization’s leadership team on priorities and direction.
- Identify and assess emerging research gaps in the field and potential innovations and opportunities.
- Oversee and drive research
- Collaborate with the team to design a strategy for research on voting rights, election law, misinformation, and other election-related issues.
- Lead the production and distribution of research reports and other publications; collaborate with team members to conceptualize, draft and edit high-quality publications and reports.
- Closely monitor trends and activities and use quantitative and qualitative methods to analyze the impact of current and proposed policies on voting rights.
- Conduct research, draft memos, write white papers and reports, and provide analysis on election policy and legislation, election practices, and voting laws; provide ongoing analysis of policy and research on voting, elections, and issues related to democracy; and be the strategic and quality control hub for drafting, editing, and reviewing research materials.
- Play a lead role in maintaining All Voting is Local as a valuable voice among various coalitions and an essential source of research and resources for key constituencies.
- Manage external research consultants and partnerships.
What You Will Bring:
- BA/BS in econometrics, statistics, mathematics, computer science, political science or other technical field.
- Fluency with R programming/stats (including spatial work) and Git/Github are required.
- Experience with geographic information systems and interactive data visualization software is desired.
- Ability to drive long-term research goals, while being able to provide rapid response research in a fast-paced environment.
- Data visualization skills: skilled at creating graphs, charts and maps to present information visually and a good understanding of how to present data in a way that communicates the organization’s message.
- Knowledge and experience using data from the U.S. Census demographics, state Secretaries of State and county and city Boards of Elections.
- Experience analyzing voter data at the national, state, county, precinct and individual level, including voter turnout, voter registration, and vote method across key demographic and political variables such as race/ethnicity, age, and socio-economic status.
- The role calls for expertise evaluating and using data and analytics tools to develop a robust data strategy in support of the mission of the campaign.
- Interest in, and general knowledge of, voting rights issues or elections, programs, and constituencies
- Extensive experience, including the ability to analyze large sets of data and conduct quantitative research, with prior experience producing reports, analysis, briefings, and other written materials.
- Experience in public policy research, especially in a political, legislative, or advocacy context.
- Excellent communications skills, including the ability to translate findings and technical concepts into accessible language for multiple audiences verbally and in writing.
- Extensive experience with quantitative research methods, including advanced statistical analysis; data collection, manipulation, and management.
- Experience overseeing high-quality original research, modeling, and data analysis.
- Have an entrepreneurial spirit with an ability to come up with big ideas, execute, and evaluate a project’s effectiveness.
What We Offer:
The Organizations offer its employees a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision coverage, and generous personal leave and vacation time. Employees can also take advantage of Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) and a retirement savings account.
Salary Range – $109,695 – $128,750
To apply, please visit our Career Center and submit your resume and cover letter. Cover letters are required and should be attached.
Our Commitment to an Inclusive Workplace
The Leadership Conference and The Education Fund are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability.