Technology Operations Manager
Open Technology Fund · Washington, DC
The Open Technology Fund works to advance Internet freedom in repressive environments by supporting the research, development, implementation, and maintenance of technologies that provide secure and uncensored access to the Internet to counter attempts by authoritarian governments to restrict freedom online. OTF provides direct funding and support services to individuals and organizations around the world to address threats to Internet freedom, journalism, and human rights with technology-backed solutions.
OTF is a private, 501(c)(3) organization funded by the U.S. Agency for Global Media.
OTF is a place for people who are mission-driven. We thrive when different perspectives and diverse experiences come together behind a shared commitment to a free and open internet for all. As in all of our positions, we encourage applications from anyone who wants to make this vision a reality - regardless of whether you meet every single qualification listed below.
The Technology Operations Manager (“Tech Operations Manager”) will be responsible for all technical infrastructure the OTF team relies on to accomplish their day-to-day tasks. OTF’s internal operations rely upon cloud-based infrastructure, platforms, and software with mixed Android, iOS, Mac, and Chromebook devices. The Tech Operations Manager will be responsible for the safe and timely management, deployment, and maintenance of all of these services and devices.
The Tech Operations Manager will also lead the development and implementation of techops-related policies to ensure that the organization operates seamlessly, securely, and in compliance with the latest security standards and best-practices. This will include policy creation and evolution related to identity and access management, threat protection, information protection, and security management.
The Tech Operations Manager's success and performance will be directly measured on their ability to support and collaborate with OTF’s diverse team. They should be passionate about working in service of global communities. They must have an understanding of the types of threats faced regarding internet freedom, independent journalism, and human rights.
Operations & Technical Infrastructure
- Lead, assess, and maintain the technical systems, infrastructure, and devices OTF relies on to function efficiently.
- Ensure OTF’s use of technology and data respond to the ethical, legal, and privacy-related challenges that come from using technology and data in human rights work.
- Supervise other TechOps team members, and consultants, creating, identifying, deploying, and monitoring KPIs, alerts, and audit reports to evaluate technological performance and effectiveness.
- Review and provide security inputs on software procurement processes, including in-house technology solutions, third-party software, off the shelf software products, and/or contracted software development.
- Respond to the team’s technical needs and troubleshoot tech-related issues with devices or accounts.
- Procure devices and services necessary for OTF’s day-to-day operations; maintain inventory of devices; and oversee device disposal in compliance with Federal grant regulations.
- Working with OTF’s Web Product Manager, oversee efforts to continue the development of OTF’s open-source grant management software, including improving workflows, implementing new features, assessing privacy and security implementation, and acting as the primary technical liaison between the OTF team and developers
- Perform other duties as may be required.
Policy Creation & Implementation
- Oversee continued efforts to streamline the internal processes, workflows, and policies that affect OTF’s technology infrastructure and strategy.
- Create and maintain high quality, accurate, and in-depth data and documents as they pertain to asset mapping, technical architecture, device and account management, and information security processes
- Continuously evaluate the use of particular technologies and systems from a security and privacy lens, and identify any revisions/changes needed.
- Review and identify existing policy gaps. Work with OTF’s VP of Security and OTF’s General Counsel to draft policies, standards, procedures, or similar resource documents related to: data governance, identity management, access control, data privacy, and information security.
- Create, implement, and maintain information security contingency plans and disaster recovery procedures.
- In coordination with the General Counsel, ensure that technology practices adhere to regulatory standards.
- Maintain quality assurance and manage the security of sensitive data. Identify gaps in existing security architecture, recommend improvements, and advise on countermeasures.
- In collaboration with the VP of Security, develop, document, and provide guidance on device use and security controls that are appropriate for the risks OTF team members face. Promote a risk-aware culture within OTF by conducting information security training and awareness raising activities with our team as a group and individually.
- Lead the design, strategy, and implementation of OTF security monitoring practices and safeguards, as well as effective countermeasures to defend against unauthorized access to OTF systems, networks, and data. Produce and distribute information security alerts, warnings, and announcements to the team.
- Identify, prioritize, investigate, classify, and remediate cyber security incidents. Coordinate with VP of Security on collecting evidence and reverse engineering possibly malicious files.
- Coordinate and/or conduct security and privacy evaluations, and ongoing vulnerability monitoring of OTF systems and practices, formal and informal third-party software tools, and consumer-technology of interest to OTF.
Alignment to the Mission and Culture of OTF
- Commitment to OTF’s mission and core values of equity, fairness and diversity.
- Passion for social change with knowledge of philanthropy, and interest in the field of human rights and Internet freedom, including nonprofit organizations, entrepreneurship, racial and gender equity, civic engagement, etc.
- Personal qualities of humility, capacity for self-reflection, and a sense of humor.
- Discretion and ability to handle confidential issues.
- Action-orientated and entrepreneurial self-starter who can work well independently and as part of a diverse team.
Experience, related skills and knowledge
We do NOT expect applicants to have all the experience, skills, and knowledge described below. This section contains an illustrative list of the kinds of experience that we will be looking at when evaluating applications.
- Extensive experience in information security and/or IT risk management with a focus on security, performance, and reliability.
- Solid understanding of security protocols, cryptography, authentication, authorisation and security.
- Proven experience deploying and providing technical support for security solutions.
- Experience and solid knowledge of privacy considerations, especially working with vulnerable groups and on sensitive information.
- Good working knowledge of current IT risks and experience implementing security solutions.
- Awareness and understanding of security considerations of cloud computing, including data breaches, broken authentication, hacking, account hijacking, third parties, APTs, data loss, and DDoS attacks.
- Awareness of privacy laws and regulations in the U.S. and E.U. and ability to contribute to the review and development of privacy policies and practices
- Ability to interact with a broad cross-section of staff to explain and enforce security measures
- Familiarity with many of the more widely used cloud and edge platforms, such as: Google Workspace, Amazon AWS, Heroku, Github, Slack, Sage Intaact, iOS, Mac, Linux, ChromeOS, and Android..
$103,000 - $134,000 USD commensurate with qualifications and experience. This is a full-time position for employment. OTF seeks exceptional applicants and offers competitive compensation and excellent employer-paid benefits.
Washington, D.C. strongly preferred
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to [email protected]
Only applications submitted through [email protected] will be considered. If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application submission, please email [email protected] Because we receive a large number of applications per job posting, inquiries regarding the status of applications will go unanswered.
Diverse teams are strong teams. OTF includes a mix of genders, parents and non-parents, the self-taught, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, and socio-economic backgrounds. We encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, abilities, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences. We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we will not offer visa sponsorship for this position.
OTF is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and do not discriminate in our hiring practices.