Senior Product Designer
New York Public Radio · New York, NY
Senior Product Designer
New York Public Radio’s mission is to make the mind more curious, the heart more open and the spirit more joyful through excellent audio programming that is deeply rooted in New York. NYPR is home to WNYC, Gothamist, WQXR, WNYC Studios, and The Jerome L. Greene Space.
The Digital team is seeking a passionate, human-centered Senior Product Designer to help us extend the reach of our storytelling capabilities, and utilize design to reimagine the way our listeners engage with and access our content across platforms e.g. streaming audio, web, distribution networks, voice and mobile applications. You will partner closely with content, marketing, membership, engineering, product, project and senior leadership teams on crafting and executing on our digital design vision.
- Facilitate design thinking workshops, design sprints and product discovery sessions
- Utilize user research & analytics to make data-driven and user-centric design decisions
- Own our budding UX Research repository
- Conduct user research and testing to validate hypotheses and report findings to internal and external teams
- Work closely with product and project to gather requirements and develop information architecture
- Collaborate with peers on product strategy
- Build wireframes and other UX artifacts
- Prototype for internal and external testing and presentation needs
- Develop personas, user journeys, flows and other insight-driven artifacts
- Create low to high fidelity visual UI designs
- Contribute meaningfully to and extend the NYPR design system, Radial
- Present ideas, artifacts and UX research findings to NYPR digital, content and senior leadership teams
- Empathetic designer with a user-centric and collaborative approach
- Ability to multitask with an incredible eye for detail
- Adept problem solver who is excited by open ended challenges
- Bridge builder from both a people and process perspective
- Self-directed and enjoys helping other members on the team be their best
- 7+ years in digital product design
- 3+ years UX Research
- 2+ years working in design systems
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Superior UI and UX design skills
- Familiarity with design thinking frameworks
- Familiarity with pattern libraries, templates and tools
- Expert in Figma, Adobe Creative Suite Products
- Prototyping experience
- Experience with Atlassian products
- The ability to effectively present to peers and senior leaders
- Experience with audio UX/platforms
- Design system experience
- Figma library development & refinement
- Storybook or equivalent pattern library platform
- Desire for innovation, balanced with business needs and user expectations
- Familiar with Agile methodologies
- Understanding of current speech and language technologies (smart speakers)
This is a full-time role that includes benefits. New York Public Radio offers competitive compensation with excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance, vacation, personal and sick time as well as generous parental leave.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic this role is currently operating in a remote capacity and will continue to be fully remote through at least August 2021. However, this position is not a permanent remote position and is part of the New York City staff, and may be expected to work from the New York office when it is safe to do so.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
New York Public Radio is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We continuously strive to place our employees at the center of our thinking and elevate inclusive practices to develop and support a more engaged and productive workforce. Our journalism and operations in the service of that journalism benefit from a broad range of perspectives, from all backgrounds, at all levels of the organization. Diversity is essential to honest, authentic, accurate storytelling and reportage; creating an institution in which all voices are encouraged, valued, and heard.
New York Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer committed to achieving the goal of equal employment opportunity for all. Applicants and employees are considered and evaluated for positions without regard to mental or physical disability, race, creed, color, religion, gender, national origin, citizenship status, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, employment status or any protected federal, state or local status unrelated to the performance of the work involved.