Senior Engineering Manager
Life360 · Remote (USA)
About the job
Life360 is a Remote First company, which means a remote work environment will be the primary experience for all employees. All positions, unless otherwise specified, can be performed remotely (within the US) regardless of any specified location above.
Life360 is on a mission to bring families closer— and that starts with ensuring that loved ones are safe and secure. That’s why millions of families across 140 countries trust Life360 to keep them connected each day, and in life’s unpredictable moments.
From real-time location sharing and notifications, to driving safety features like Crash Detection and Roadside Assistance, we create tools that remove uncertainty from modern life — so families can feel free, together.
About The Job
You’ll be leading software engineering teams, taking a platform which ingests 30+ billion locations weekly with subsecond latency to the next level of scale, resilience, and flexibility. You thrive on the agility of a midsize public company that has demonstrated product leadership at consumer web scale. The role is primarily about people leadership, including mentoring technical leaders and overseeing projects. You are credible with engineers, executives, and cross-functional stakeholders. You can teach and learn from the best.
What You’ll Do
- Attract, grow, and promote top engineers
- Oversee prioritization, definition, planning, and execution of projects
- Set ambitious objectives and key results, grounded in practical execution
- Coordinate work across engineering, operations, and across disciplines
- Mentor or manage other people leaders
- Build further upon a culture of technical and management excellence
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Strong technical roots in hands-on development of complex system software; depth being more important than breadth
- Ability to engage with technical leaders designing distributed systems at scale
- Operated as a manager and/or engineer during periods of fast business growth
- 7+ years of progressive experience being directly employed to develop software in products being sold to consumers or their enterprise customers
- 5+ years of formal management experience including performance appraisals
- Strong listening skills and pithy articulation
- Detail orientation and informed bias-to-action
- Experience in multi-office management, ideally including offshore
- Effective application of broad range of project management tools & techniques
- Experience using observability systems to detect and isolate faults
- Building high-availability systems, and handling incident response when they fail
- Experience using or building modern developer tooling and service deployment
- Experience evolving from monolithic servers to distributed services
- Experience working with delivering and/or consuming services from partners
- Experience in application software security
- Experience working with a sensor network of mobile and/or IoT devices
- Proficiency in Java and one dynamically-typed language
- Proficiency in AWS or other public clouds
We value having a diverse and inclusive community from many backgrounds, so even if you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying!
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance plans (100% paid for employees)
- 401(k) plan with company matching program
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for mental wellness.
- Flexible PTO and 12 company wide days off throughout the year
- Learning & Development programs
- Equipment, tools, and reimbursement support for a productive remote environment
- Free Life360 Platinum Membership for your preferred circle
Our company’s mission driven culture is guided by our shared values to create a trusted work environment where you can bring your authentic self to work and make a positive difference
- Build A High Performing Team – Communicate Directly, Be a Good Person
- Make Things Happen – Take Ownership, Think Long Term
- Deliver an Exceptional Experience – Users Come First, Quality & Craftsmanship
Our Commitment to Diversity
We believe that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds create a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better results. Together, we continue to build an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our employees. It fuels our innovation and connects us closer to our customers and the communities we serve. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic best selves to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Life360. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any legally protected status.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.