Staff Software Engineer, Backend
Life360 · Remote (USA)
Life360 is a Remote First company, which means a remote work environment will be the primary experience for all employees. All positions, unless otherwise specified, can be performed remotely (within the US) regardless of any specified location above.
Life360 is on a mission to bring families closer— and that starts with ensuring that loved ones are safe and secure. That’s why millions of families across 140 countries trust Life360 to keep them connected each day, and in life’s unpredictable moments.
From real-time location sharing and notifications, to driving safety features like Crash Detection and Roadside Assistance, we create tools that remove uncertainty from modern life — so families can feel free, together.
About the Job
- As a Backend Engineer on the Cloud team you will help build new scalable services that power the features of the number one mobile app that provides safety and peace of mind to millions of families.
- You are comfortable maneuvering legacy code bases and enjoy turning them into new state of the art technology, as we are breaking down a PHP monolith into JVM-based microservices on AWS.
- Our cloud team ensures that our APIs are able to process tens of thousands of requests a second with the ability to scale 10x. You'll be a very active contributor to our diverse codebase.
- You use automation tools as often as possible and develop and improve these tools.
- You are comfortable dealing with very large amounts of traffic to the tune of billions of daily API requests
As a member of our Staff Engineering group, you:
- are a functional specialist who makes impact through either your technical depth or your ability to lead a group of engineers
- are the go-to expert for your function
- have the ability to create and execute quarterly technical goals, lead and vanguard our most complicated features, and mentor and advance the skills of lower level engineers.
Education / Experience Requirements:
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or similar quantitative field or the equivalent number of years experience.
- 8+ years of software development experience.
- Proficient in JVM languages. This team uses primarily Java (Spring Boot).
- Familiarity with PHP, Python, or Go since some of our systems are built using these.
- Excellent understanding of data stores, distributed systems, data modeling and their associated pitfalls.
- 4+ years experience with microservices
- Experience with the AWS environment and its various tools
We value having a diverse and inclusive community from many backgrounds, so even if you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying!
- Competitive pay and benefits
- Medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance plans (100% paid for employees)
- 401(k) plan with company matching program
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for mental wellness.
- Flexible PTO and 12 company wide days off throughout the year
- Learning & Development programs
- Equipment, tools, and reimbursement support for a productive remote environment
- Free Life360 Platinum Membership for your preferred circle
Our company’s mission driven culture is guided by our shared values to create a trusted work environment where you can bring your authentic self to work and make a positive difference
- Build A High Performing Team – Communicate Directly, Be a Good Person
- Make Things Happen – Take Ownership, Think Long Term
- Deliver an Exceptional Experience – Users Come First, Quality & Craftsmanship
Our Commitment to Diversity
We believe that different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds create a stronger and more creative work environment that delivers better results. Together, we continue to build an inclusive culture that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our employees. It fuels our innovation and connects us closer to our customers and the communities we serve. We strive to create a workplace that reflects the communities we serve and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic best selves to work.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Life360. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any legally protected status.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. We believe that a diversity of perspectives and experiences create a foundation for the best ideas. Come join us in building something meaningful.