Senior Backend Engineer
Grand Rounds Health · Remote (USA)
Health & Well-BeingPosted 3 months ago
Doctor On Demand is the leading provider of high-quality Virtual Primary Care. We are constantly innovating; pushing the boundaries of what is possible with regards to Virtual Health Care. Whether this is helping patients find Primary Care Providers they are comfortable with or finding ways to lower barrier-to-entry for patients to receive care, we always move forward with technical expertise, an eye on putting the patient first, and a culture which prioritizes teamwork, rational expectations and setting up engineers for success.
Senior Backend Engineers on the Primary Care Engineering Team are responsible for the delivery of high quality software that is in service of Doctor on Demand’s mission to deliver Total Virtual Care. You will work closely with the team to drive quality products. You will be a part of the technical planning phases of projects and help coordinate work across the team. You will work with the Engineering Manager to come to practical solutions to an ever changing market and respond to needs to deliver on sales initiatives. You are capable of taking complex projects through all phases of the software development lifecycle and help guide technical direction.
The Senior Backend Engineer will also be expected to help define best practices for the team and for Doctor On Demand as a whole. You will mentor and train more junior engineers on the team both technically, and in the overall execution of the Software Development Lifecycle. Interacting with product and other stakeholders is not the primary focus of this position, but is a skill that a successful candidate will be able to demonstrate. Project management and methodologies are not a primary function of this role, but a successful candidate will be conversant in various software development methodologies.
- Delivering high-quality software to consistent with Doctor On Demand and Industry best practices
- Train and support other engineers to help develop skills for Engineering at large
- Capable of debugging and optimizing highly complex software
- Taking projects and breaking them down into manageable tasks that can be accomplished by multiple members of the engineering team
- Working to develop fresh features, as well as working with existing code
- Extensive knowledge of Python and Django or a similar web framework
- Knowledge and experience building APIs
- Ability to write backend code that is testable and stable at scale.
- Knowledge and experience with a scalable database technology (Postgres, MySQL, etc.)
- Good understanding of distributed systems, modeling, indexing and associated trade-offs
- Commitment to software development best practices (code review, automated testing and documentation)
- Knowledge of healthcare-specific technologies (HL7 standards, 270/271 Request/Response and other EDI transactions) a plus
- Able to communicate with internal stakeholders
- Able to collaborate with other engineering teams in the company
- 7 years experience in professional software development
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or equivalent
- Experience building backend software that has scaled well
- Experience with asynchronous task queues such as Celery
- Experience with front-end web technologies like HTML5, CSS, JS, a plus
- Ability to remain seated in a stationary position for prolonged periods.
- No heavy lifting is expected, though occasional exertion of about 20 lbs. of force (e.g., picking up and computer / laptops) may be required.
- Good manual dexterity required to use common office equipment (e.g., computers, laptop, and mobile devices).
- Some business travel may be required.
About Grand Rounds Health, Doctor On Demand and Included Health:
Grand Rounds Health, Doctor On Demand and Included Health merged in 2021 to form the first of its kind integrated virtual care company to raise the standard of healthcare. Our personalized, longitudinal care services include primary care, specialty care, integrated behavioral health, everyday and urgent care, chronic condition management and prevention and 24/7 triage. We get members to the right care, at the right time through ongoing clinical navigation, expert medical opinions and care coordination.
Partnering with leading employers and health plans, we deliver unparalleled, end-to-end care. Our combined nationwide practice of dedicated clinicians and innovative data science and technology platforms provide better care experiences, better member satisfaction, and better outcomes and cost savings for our nearly 100 million covered lives across commercial, Medicare and Medicaid.
Headquartered in San Francisco, the combined company has been recognized as a 2020 UCSF Digital Health Award winner for Employer Wellness and 2021 Best Workplaces in Healthcare and Biopharma™ by Great Place to Work and Fortune. Learn more at www.grandrounds.com and www.doctorondemand.com.
Grand Rounds Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any other basis forbidden under federal, state, or local law. Grand Rounds Health considers all qualified applicants in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.