Fullstack Engineer: Data Clinic
Two Sigma · New York, NY
Data Clinic is a unique business unit within Two Sigma that brings together our people, data science skills, and technological know-how to provide pro bono support to nonprofits in their effort to use data more effectively. To address our partners’ particular challenges, we share our expertise, teach our way of thinking, and source the right talent from among employees. We believe rigorous data analysis and engineering can help nonprofits in many ways and our work enables them to focus on what they do best – strengthening the communities they serve.
As a Data Clinic Fullstack Engineer/Technologist for Social Good, you will join the core team and work with our Two Sigma volunteers to enhance our open source for social impact work as well as partner engineering projects. This will require scoping technical requirements for projects and translating them into an executable plan including resource needs and timeline. You will help select the appropriate technologies for each project with an emphasis on realistic maintainability, scalability, and long-term use by our clients. Key to the success of our mission is that we work to build with, and not for, our partners, which necessitates effective communication, collaboration, and code development in a user-centered environment. You will have the opportunity to work with a range of different technologies, learning new ones along the way, and to support in the development of best practices.
You will take on the following responsibilities:
- Act as technical engineering lead on 8-10 Data Clinic projects a year, supporting the core team and volunteers as needed.
- Interact with partner organizations to understand their technology/data needs, how these affect the communities they support, and how best to build responsible solutions.
- Develop ideas for new open source tools that empower practitioners in the data for good space and help maintain and develop our existing tools.
- Support in the documentation of best practices for product lifecycle, UX, and impact measurement.
- Contribute content (blog posts, papers, presentations, etc.) for projects and present both internally and externally at conferences.
- Help to develop internal engagement and training activities (e.g., project deep dives, hack days, open source contributions).
You should possess the following qualifications:
- Demonstrated passion for using data and tech to solve hard, impactful problems.
- 5+ years of relevant job experience developing end-to-end client-facing products for civic and social impact-based solutions.
- Proficiency with agile development practices in particular, collecting requirements, user stories, and feedback from stakeholders and turning these into actionable plans.
- Demonstrated ability to write easily maintainable and well-documented code.
- Ability to communicate and present technical topics to a broad audience of non-experts and to write documentation on how to use products, explanations of the trade-offs between different technologies, best practices, etc.
- Technical proficiencies:
- Experience writing API’s which integrate with databases (postgresql) and other external API’s/services.
- Experience deploying apps to cloud platforms like AWS/GCP.
- Experience implementing and adapting machine learning and statistical models in a production environment.
- Nice but not necessary: familiarity building applications that work with geospatial data (i.e., PostGIS, Mapbox GL, OpenLayers).
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.