Quality Assurance Manager
The Trevor Project · Remote
Role: Quality Assurance Manager
Reports to: Director of Software Engineering
Hours: Full time
The Trevor Project is the world’s largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ young people. We are a non-profit that provides 24/7 life-saving support via phone, text, and chat. We also operate the world’s largest safe space social networking site for LGBTQ youth and run innovative research, education, and advocacy programs. We’ve been saving lives every day for over 20 years.
Overview of the role
The Quality Assurance Manager will grow and oversee the QA team engaged in manually testing all software products developed by our Agile engineering teams here at Trevor. As a close partner to software engineering managers, product managers, and UX researchers and designers, you will be a voice for reliability and quality at every stage of feature design and development. This includes bug prevention as well as the development of transparent and testable architecture to ensure that all products can be easily tested by your team.
Who you are
- Experienced. You have professional experience leading QA teams through manual testing for highly-reliable, web-based software systems, and you preferably have - or are willing to learn - basic SQL and log-inspection skills.
- Team Manager. You are a talented and motivating manager of teams, experienced in mentoring and championing professional development for QA professionals.
- Collaborative. You understand that the best way to meet and exceed goals is through outstanding teamwork.
- Detail-oriented. You are aware that paying attention to small details can have a huge impact on the organization, and you take steps to make sure your work is thorough and complete.
- Flexible. You are comfortable navigating ambiguity and working through competing priorities.
- Passionate. You care about LGBTQ youth. You care about saving lives. You want to come to work and feel inspired every day. You want to change the world.
- Fun. The work we do is very serious, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have fun. We know how to have a good time and you should too.
What you’ll do
- Be QA’s valued and centered voice in conversations about design, work estimation, and release of features that significantly advance The Trevor Project’s mission
- Oversee the testing of our 24/7 phone, SMS, and chat system for crisis counseling, our youth-facing resources, our volunteer management system, feedback systems, scheduling systems, our AI-powered counselor training tools, and TrevorSpace, our online community for LGBTQ young people
- Participate in design meetings to help surface ambiguity in specs and design documents for the purpose of bug prevention
- Select, develop, nurture, retain, and grow a diverse and high-performing team of QA professionals based outside the U.S.
- Challenge your team to think resourcefully and creatively about how to break a feature
- Nurture the professional growth of each tester on your team, ensuring that testers develop deep knowledge of our system
- Help engineers think through how automated testing frameworks can best accommodate a full range of test cases and expose our systems to thorough automated testing
- Guide your team in becoming familiar with our internal logging systems, including Datadog, and our database, BigQuery
- Generous vacation and holidays (like a full day off to celebrate Harvey Milk Day!), including three half-day Fridays during the summer
- Comprehensive health insurance (we pay 100% of your premiums for medical, dental, and life), including gender affirmation surgery
- Flexibility to work from anywhere in the U.S. (we provide the technology, a monthly internet stipend and reimbursement to outfit your work-from-home space!)
- Fun virtual office environment and passionate team
- Online Subscription to Headspace, a digital meditation platform
- The Trevor Project is an equal opportunity employer
- Meaningful work at an organization that is saving the lives of LGBTQ young people across America every day
We’re excited to hear from you! To join Team Trevor, please upload a resume and cover letter. Applications without cover letters will not be considered - use this as an opportunity to convey why you want to be the Quality Assurance Manager at The Trevor Project!