Common Sense Media · San Francisco, CA - Remote OK
Common Sense (https://www.commonsensemedia.org/) is the nation's leading independent nonprofit organization devoted to helping kids and families thrive in a world of media and technology.
Every day, millions of families turn to Common Sense for trusted advice and unbiased ratings. We offer the largest library of independent age-based and educational ratings and reviews for everything your kids want to watch, play, read, and learn. Our movie and TV ratings are available on Comcast, Apple TV, DirecTV, and many other partner networks, helping families and kids make smart media choices. Through our schools program, we provide educators with a curriculum that teaches the essential digital citizenship and literacy skills every student needs to succeed. More than 100,000 member schools across the country use our ratings and free curriculum and content. We also work with policymakers, industry leaders, and legislators to improve the media and education landscape for kids, families, and schools.
We are seeking a highly motivated QA engineer who can create and maintain automated tests for our flagship Common Sense Media website and API as well as serve as a manual QA black box tester. This position requires you to collaborate with various people across the organization, although primarily you will be working with the engineering and product teams. We are looking for someone who is a self-starter, very detail-oriented, and proactive, can work well independently as well as collaboratively with the full team, and is a strong driver for results and continuous improvement. The ideal candidate will have a strong technical background in QA automation with demonstrated technical leadership and interpersonal skills.
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA (remote OK)
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-time (40 hours per week)
REPORTS TO: VP, product
Bugs & Site Stability
- Manage the full life cycle of all identified bugs on the production site. This includes managing the process for internal staff to submit bugs, logging the Jira tickets defining the bug, ensuring an engineer is assigned to the bug, and managing communication as the bug is resolved.
- Monitor the site continuously and build and run automated tests, particularly for high-impact areas such as registration, partner API, membership/our Plus program, etc., to identify and log any new bugs, ensure all functionality is working as expected, and all UI and design elements are displayed consistently and as expected.
- Maintain a consistent line of communication with member services to test and escalate reproducible bug reports coming in from users.
- Perform thorough regression testing when bugs are resolved and after any new release.
- Work closely with our developers and dev ops team to integrate tests into code release cycles.
Sprints & Releases
- During code freezes, thoroughly test new work across browsers and devices, ensuring functionality and usability using a combination of automated and black box testing.
- Be online at all releases prior to a scheduled release, and remain online at least until all core functionality and priority tickets have been validated.
- Close all Jira tickets once verified on the production after a release, monitor the Jira backlog, and close out any unreproducible tickets.
- Attend all sprint planning meetings, ensure all tickets have enough requirements documented for accurate QA, and determine whether the overall sprint load is acceptable for QA.
- Define automation strategy and ensure testability.
- Write quality code for automated tests for all core site functionality and new features moving forward.
- Maintain all existing automations and write automations for new functionality.
- Run all automated tests after releases and perform all regression tests.
New Site Features
- Attend new project meetings to ensure that general details and requirements are clear, collaborate with engineers and PMs, and provide input from a QA perspective in the early phases of a project before Jira tickets are created.
- Review product briefs, specifications, and any technical design documents.
- Attend engineering kickoff meetings and architecture discussions, and propose and discuss solutions as needed.
- Create detailed, comprehensive, and well-structured test plans and test cases for all black box manual tests.
- Suggest creative and new ideas, new tools, and solutions to the VP of product or PMs on any new process improvement recommendations to improve efficiencies.
- Stay up-to-date with new testing tools and test strategies.
- Strong knowledge of PHP, JS, SQL, CSS, HTML, and Python nice to have.
- Expert with QA automation tools and methodologies.
- Proven understanding of PHP application development and testing.
- Experience in REST APIs preferred.
- Drupal experience a plus.
- Proven track record of delivering good-quality projects on time.
- Extensive experience working on large-scale sites (1M+ monthly users).
- Experience with testing e-commerce and other payment gateway applications.
- Excellent knowledge of the software development life cycle, including agile methodologies.
- Strong leadership skills, friendly, and approachable.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The chance to work with talented, passionate professionals.
- A great health and welfare benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, and a matching 401(k).
- An organization that offers work/life balance.
- The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids and families!
Common Sense values the diversity of its employees and is an equal opportunity employer. For more information on our values, please visit our statement on diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Common Sense will consider employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. However, job offers are made on the condition that the applicant subsequently passes a criminal background check. If the background check indicates a prior criminal conviction, we will conduct an individualized assessment to determine whether the conviction should result in denial of employment.