Senior Software Engineer - Java
OpenGov · Remote (USA)
Public Service & Civic EngagementPosted 3 months ago
Imagine yourself here!
OpenGov is a mission driven fast-growth, Series D, venture backed startup (includes Andreessen Horowitz, Formation 8, and Emerson Collective). Our Board of Directors includes iconic Silicon Valley executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO) and Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world).
OpenGov is the leader in modern cloud ERP software for our nation's cities, counties, and state agencies. We have surpassed 1,000+ governments (and growing fast!) using our products in our mission to power more effective and accountable government.
OpenGov is a 2021 Top Workplaces USA award winner!
About the Senior Software Engineer Role:
The Senior Software Engineer role is a backend role where you’ll build best-in-class SaaS solutions that enable efficiency, transparency, and accountability within government agencies. You’ll be a key member of our engineering team, delivering new features and improvements in a fast-paced, agile environment using modern technologies. Having a keen eye for good API design, scalability, and microservice architecture will help enable your success as you provide core business use cases for data platform and UI developers to interface with. We value self-starters with the ability to communicate ideas effectively and contribute to OpenGov’s culture of respect, dedication, and fun. We value clean code, principles over dogma, and making the world a little better every day.
What You’ll Be Working On:
• Ship critical customer use cases for Budget and Planning products
• Building APIs for an event based micro-service architecture written in Functional Java
• Consume and publish events via our Data Platform and messaging platforms like Kafka
• Monitor and improve the performance of existing systems by setting up meaningful alerting policies and studying trends of metrics on services
• Optimize applications for speed and scalability by looking at metrics like heap, memory, GC, network traffic, service restarts
• Produce reusable and readable code and libraries
• Collaborate with stakeholders across Devops, Design, Product Management, and Engineering
• Help the team with On call responsibilities
Skills That Will Help You Succeed:
• 5+ years of professional experience shipping scalable SaaS products
• Fluent in a modern compiled language - Java preferred
• Experience with contemporary JVM frameworks and functional programming expertise, preferable in Java 11 or above
• Functional programming and should be well versed with the concept fo eventual consistency
• Solid OOP and software design knowledge
• Strong hands-on Kubernetes experience including knowledge of common k8s and Docker use cases
• Async and high-performance multi-threading experience
• Solid understanding of core AWS concepts (EC2, RDS, etc.)
• Experience maintaining, monitoring, and operating reliable, production software
• Messaging and distributed queues, specifically kafka
• Experience with both relational databases and key-value stores
• Deep experience with git
• Gradle and monorepo dev practices
Nice To Haves:
• Experience with Java 11 and above or any functional programming language, Vertx, Spring Boot, Spring Webflux
• Helm, Spinnaker, and other Kubernetes ecosystem experience
• Active participation in the tech community via blogs or speaking engagements
What makes OpenGov unique
» Leadership: CEO Zac Bookman (MPA from Harvard and JD from Yale) is truly a mission-driven CEO. He was named one of the 100 most Intriguing Entrepreneurs by Goldman Sachs and SF Business Times' 40 under 40 class of 2018!
» Funding: $140 million, Series D company, from top tier investors including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, and Emerson Collective. Click here to read more about our latest round of funding!
» Board of Directors: Includes iconic executives John Chambers (former Cisco Chairman and CEO), Marc Andreessen (Time Magazine’s list of the 100 most influential people in the world), Katherine August-deWilde (Vice Chair of First Republic Bank), and Amy Pressman (co-founder, former president, and a current board member of Medallia).
» Growth: Double growth with 1,000+ governments (and counting) using our products!
» Culture: Winner of 2021 Top Workplaces USA award, Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers, 50 Best Workplaces award. Check out our Careers Video!
» Perks: 90% paid Medical/Dental/Vision premium for employees, fully paid Life and Short/Long term disability insurance, Unlimited PTO, Parental Leave policy, monthly fitness stipend, anniversary awards, and more!
» Product: Named a Tech Pioneer by the World Economic Forum, we are the leader in cloud ERP software for our nation's cities, counties, and state agencies.
» Mission Driven: We are a technology company helping out our communities, cities, and states. We're powering more effective and accountable government.
Come join us and make a positive social impact!