UI/UX Designer - Education and Workforce Development
RTI International · Durham, NC
RTI International is one of the world's leading research institutes, dedicated to improving the human condition by turning knowledge into practice. Experts in our Education and Workforce Development practice area advance equitable, high-quality learning for people of all ages around the globe. We take an integrated approach to research—combining deep expertise in education and workforce development with broad capabilities in quantitative and qualitative research, evaluation studies, and data visualization and decision support tools. We lead large-scale, multiyear studies that investigate the relationships between student characteristics, education programs and practices, and academic and career success.
The Education and Workforce Development business unit has an immediate opening for an UI/UX Designer who will design products that aim to improve educational outcomes through digital initiatives such as learning management systems, data-rich microsites, mobile applications, and complex data management systems. The UI/UX Designer will execute a variety of visual design tasks in support of the work of the Center for Technology and Data Management and will work closely with the Creative Director to create high-quality user experiences across digital platforms. Critical to success in this position are creative problem-solving skills, strong design skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work effectively in a team environment.
The team is composed of telecommuters across the United States. Candidates should have telecommuting experience or an interest in becoming a telecommuter.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop sitemaps, wireframes, visual mock-ups, and interactive prototypes
- Create innovative user interfaces and visual designs
- Design with an awareness and understanding of browser sizes, device capabilities, and product functionality
- Provide quality control reviews of all work
- Work within existing brands to apply designs across a broad range of collateral
- Collaborate with the Creative Director and developers to ensure that designs are implemented to the highest standard
- Assist with usability activities such as persona creation, user testing, and research
- Design presentations, format reports, and source images and illustrations
- Design marketing collateral for external clients
- Provide clear, concise, and accurate communication to clients
- Effectively prioritize project deliverables and assignments
- Articulate design decisions thoughtfully with an openness to feedback
- Ensure designs meet 508 accessibility requirements
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 3 years of experience as a digital producer, user interface designer, visual designer, or equivalent
- Experience designing for the EdTech industry
- A portfolio that demonstrates proven success with digital work
- Strong knowledge of user interface and user experience best practices and standards
- Understanding of design principles including layout, typography, and color theory
- Well organized, detail-oriented, and capable of self-managing and multitasking in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Experience working in a collaborative team environment
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience designing for mobile
- Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States and should not require, now or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status
Please submit an online portfolio or work samples with your application.
The anticipated pay range for this role is between $60,000 and $80,000, based on experience, equity, etc. A geographic differential may also be applied to some work locations within the United States.
RTI considers multiple factors when making an offer including, for example: established salary range, internal budget, business needs, and education and years of work experience possessed by the applicant. Further, salary is merely one element to our offer.
At RTI, we demonstrate our commitment to rewarding individual and team achievement through a total rewards package. This package includes (among other things) a competitive base salary, a generous paid time off policy, merit based annual increases, bonus opportunities and a robust recognition program. Other benefits include a competitive range of insurance plans (including health, dental, life, and short-term and long-term disability), access to a retirement savings program such as a 401(k) plan, paid parental leave for mothers and fathers, financial assistance with adoption expenses or infertility treatments, financial reimbursement for education and developmental opportunities, an employee assistance program, and numerous other offerings to support a healthy work-life balance.