Product Manager, Research Watch
World Resources Institute · Washington, DC
This position can be based in the United States, London, The Hague, Netherlands or in Mexico City
This is a unique opportunity to join a rapidly growing technical team at the World Resources Institute, one of the world’s leading global mission-driven environmental organizations.
In this role, you will lead the management of a high-impact product to improve how we create, discover, and use data to support a more resilient and prosperous world. Resource Watch serves as the cross-institutional data platform for WRI. As the RW Product Manager, you will ensure that the RW Product Roadmap has both a long-term strategic focus and harnesses opportunities that arise from new projects. Reporting to the Resource Watch Director, you will lead the RW product roadmap and development of the core Resource Watch platform. You will prioritize features based on user research, stakeholder engagement, and the needs of other products served by Resource Watch. You will manage day-to-day interactions with vendors, develop and manage a product roadmap, and ensure timely and high-quality delivery of features, among other tasks.
This position is remote due to Covid-19, but you will be based at WRI’s office in London, The Hague, Mexico City or in Washington, DC once restrictions have lifted.
Product Management (90%)
- Lead the ongoing design and development of Resource Watch, ensuring the platform continues to meet internal and external needs in line with Resource Watch’s vision and theory of change
- Define the product strategy and roadmap, with input from the Platform and Data Teams, and the Data Lab engineering team
- Oversee Resource Watch contracts with external web vendors, establish priorities, draft competitive RFPs, manage deadlines and budget
- Engage with WRI’s programs and International Offices to drive the development of the platform to meet their needs as a key internal audience
- Maintain the product backlog and prioritize features based on user needs, stakeholder input, and the Resource Watch product roadmap
- Oversee and plan the Resource Watch product roadmap in collaboration with product leads who implement specific products
- Regularly conduct user research and usability testing
- Monitor project deliverables and adjust priorities as needed
- Maintain clear and comprehensive documentation
- Provide reviews of app plans for geospatial products when relevant
User Engagement (10%)
- Lead trainings on using the Resource Watch platform for WRI staff and external audiences as opportunities arise
- Communicate product updates to Resource Watch users and stakeholders, including funders, via blog posts, newsletters, and donor reports
- Represent Resource Watch to internal and external stakeholders in meetings, attend conferences, give presentations as needed
- Collaborate with the RW Communications Specialist to drive outreach to reach target audiences and initiate opportunities for collaboration and engagement with partners
- Master's degree required or a Bachelor's degree with 2 years additional relevant experience
- Minimum 3 years relevant full-time work experience
- Working knowledge of product development and user research best practices
- Experience managing web or other product development, particularly working with external vendors
- Ability to solve complex problems, reach decisions and solutions underpinned by consultation, evidence, and solid documentation
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to understand issues from different perspectives, and the confidence to take principled positions or seek help when needed
- A high degree of comfort with web technologies, with the ability to work with both technical and non-technical colleagues and partners
- A self-motivated learner with a willingness and ability to take on new challenges as required Strong visual and aesthetic sense
- Highly organized and attentive to detail
- Experience managing partnerships of partners, donors, and governments
$59,000 - $77,000 if based in United States.
€47,217 - €59,022 if based in the Netherlands.
£37,000 - £46,250 if based in the UK.
Salary is commensurate with experience and other compensable factors.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume with cover letter. Applicants must apply through the WRI Careers portal to be considered. Deadline for applications 1st August 2021.
This position is based in the Resource Watch team of the Data Lab in the Research, Data, and Innovation department, which works to promote high-quality standards in WRI’s research, mentor staff, and ensure research is coordinated and coherent across WRI’s programs, centers, and international offices. Resource Watch launched as a beta platform in 2018, currently hosts over 300 datasets, including 50+ in near real-time and has developed thematic microsites for energy and the ocean. Resource Watch’s platform services to Programs, Centers and IOs serves as the technical pillar of the Data Lab. You will oversee technical solutions developed for the Resource Watch platform and develop the technical and architectural strategy for the platform. WRI’s Data Lab works throughout the institute to help our researchers harness the full power of the data revolution and use modern technology to solve today’s most pressing issues. The Data Lab upholds WRI’s rigorous data standards and commitment to open data and knowledge-sharing.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity and human well-being. We are working to address seven critical challenges that the world must overcome this decade in order to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet: climate change, energy, food, forests, water, sustainable cities, and the ocean.
We are passionate. We value our diversity of interests, skills and backgrounds. We have a flexible work environment. And we share a common goal to catalyze change that will improve the lives of people. Our shared ideals are at the core of our approach. They include: integrity, innovation, urgency, independence and respect.
The foundation of our work is delivering high-quality research, data, maps and analysis to solve the world’s greatest environment and international development challenges, and improve people’s lives. We work with leaders in government, business and civil society to drive ambitious action and create change on the ground. Equally important, we bring together partners to develop breakthrough ideas and scale-up solutions for far-reaching, enduring impact.
We have been growing rapidly: our staff has doubled in size over the past 5 years and our operating budget is now $150 million. Founded in 1982, WRI has a global staff of 1,000+ people with work spanning 60 countries. We have offices in Africa , Brazil , China , Europe , India , Indonesia , Mexico and the United States as well as a growing presence in other countries and regions.
WRI is committed to advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our mission and applies this principle to our organizational and programmatic practices.