Data Engineering Manager
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia · Philadelphia, PA
The Data & Analytics (DnA) team is an essential part of the Center of Healthcare Quality & Analytics (CHQA) team within the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP). DnA team provides data & analytics services across the enterprise, including engineering, analytics, applied data science, data literacy, and data trust.
As a manager of the Data Engineering group, you will be responsible for leading a highly talented group of engineers and overseeing platform engineering and services functions. You will be primarily focusing on major engineering efforts such as architecting and building next generation Cloud data platform, building reusable data pipelines and data centric applications to solve healthcare problems by employing DevOps/DataOps frameworks.
A successful candidate will be technically competent and enjoy leading and collaborating with the engineering, analytics and business teams.
- Build scalable data pipelines and applications to serve various data and analytics needs.
- Oversee the development of technical standards and architecture of the data and analytics platform.
- Drive the evaluation/assessment of various technologies and tools.
- Oversee technical environment strategy and disaster recovery plans.
- Be resourceful in navigating the technical solutions and architecture options to help solve the business problems.
- Infer various workload demands and outlook for infrastructure needs to solve business problems and scalability requirements.
- Balance innovation and operational stability of the platform.
- Ensure service reliability
- Monitor infrastructure costs, performance and end user experience.
- Mentor the team to build and maintain world class data and analytics platform.
- Proactively identify operational improvements by embracing continuous delivery methods.
- Help spot pain points and build action plans to address those through appropriate technical solutions and process frameworks.
- Assume full accountability for team’s technical delivery artifacts.
- Help to build department’s vision, strategy and execution plans.
- Be an advocate for agile software development practices and evolutionary architecture principles.
Required Education and Experience
Required Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer/Software Engineering, Information Technology or related fields.
Eight (8) plus years of experience working in Data and analytics landscape.
At least two (2) years of managing/leading technical teams.
One (1) year experience working with one of the public cloud platforms such as AWS/Azure/GCP.
Preferred Education, Experience & Cert/Lic
Preferred Education: Advanced Degree in Computer Science, Informatics, Information Systems or another quantitative field.
Additional Technical Requirements
- Proven experience in building development and technology operational teams.
- Experience is leading/managing at least 5+ technically savvy team members.
- Strong technical architecture and application development background
- Knowledge of data processing tools: DBT, Informatica, MS Integration Services, IBM Streams, Flume, Storm, Spark-Streaming, etc.
- Knowledge of big data toolset: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, Hive, sqoop etc.
- Knowledge of the Business Intelligence (Business Objects, Cognos, Microstrategy etc.,) or visualization tools such as Qlik, Tableau, PowerBI etc.,
- Good hands-on experience with Linux (RHEL/Debian) operating system
- Knowledge of version control systems such as Git.
- Experience utilizing Agile and DevOps methodologies.
- Experience in utilizing ITIL methodologies.
- Strong facilitation and communication skills. Ability to run efficient meetings with many attendees.
- Strong partnering skills and ability to work within a collaborative environment
All CHOP employees who work in a patient building or who provide patient care are required to receive an annual influenza vaccine unless they are granted a medical or religious exemption.
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for its patients, family members, visitors and employees. In an effort to achieve this goal, employment at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, other than for positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, is contingent upon an attestation that the job applicant does not use tobacco products.
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor/Seeking priority referrals for protected veterans. Please contact our hiring official with any referrals or questions.