FreeWill · New York, NYEngineering Health & Well-Being Human Rights & Equality Posted 4 months ago Claim this company
FreeWill is a new social venture whose mission is to help people use their estate plans to do tremendous good for the people and causes they love.
(We also happen to believe that being a fast-growing for-profit startup is the most effective way to achieve these goals.)
We provide high-quality, intuitive online tools to create estate plans, at no cost to the consumer. Our product helps people identify beneficiaries of their estates, guardians for their minor children if necessary, directives on memorial services, and more. In this way, we increase access to law for the 70% of Americans who have not started important end-of-life planning.
Within this tool, a user can easily leave charitable bequests in their will to causes they care about. This significantly increases the amount of funds directed towards nonprofits. To date, we have raised more than $430 million in new commitments to nonprofit organizations. We now raise more than $1M a day for nonprofits.
We have an amazing team, and we’d love to have you join it.
We are looking for an ambitious engineer who wants to make impact at scale. This role will require taking on a high level of responsibility across a wide variety of projects.
This role reports to our Director of Engineering, Gilboa Globen, and is based in New York City. Competitive comp & equity. Flexible start date. Unfortunately, we can’t sponsor H1Bs or have remote employees at this time.
For this role (and all other roles at FreeWill), we first screen for aptitude, tenacity, and kindness. More details about this particular role are below.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Own the design and development of greenfield features for the FreeWill web application
- Work a modern stack including React, Node.js, and Serverless backend
- Interact closely with a diverse team across legal, growth, design, and product
- Inform product decisions for the company
- Gain knowledge of end-of-life planning and nonprofit fundraising - what currently is working, what is not, and what tech can do to help fix it
- 5+ years building production systems for complex web app
- Skilled in SQL and database management (nosql knowledge is a plus)
- Skilled in development operations (e.g. AWS - EC2, RDS, S3, Lambda), web analytics, and security
- CS degree (undergrad, masters, or PhD)
Other Important Traits
- Intense curiosity
- Scrappiness and grit
- Consumer-first design mindset and eye for visual design
- Foresight about how technical decisions today will impact the business and the product in the future and at scale
If interested, please contact Jenny Xia at firstname.lastname@example.org with resume and any applicable experience.
Read More About FreeWill:
- "Philanthropy's Missing Trillions", Stanford Social Innovation Review, by our co-founders, on why this is the biggest opportunity for philanthropy in the history of the world.
- "Making Wills Easier And Cheaper", New York Times
- “End of Life Platform Out to Raise $1 Trillion for Charity”, Forbes
- "My immigrant parents love me. They hated my startup." Marie Claire
- “This startup lets you write a will for free by donating to charity” Yahoo! Finance
- Coding it Forward