Software Engineer, Backend
Kevala · San Francisco, CA/Remote (USA)
$70000 - $135000 Per YearPosted 1 month ago
At Kevala, we are on an urgent mission to decarbonize the global energy economy using the most comprehensive data sets available on earth. We are a group of ambitious intellectuals who embrace unconventional approaches to solving complex problems. We foster a culture where all are encouraged to collaborate, be creative, and above all - support each other in our collective endeavors. As a fast-growing start-up, we are looking for individuals who are passionate about accelerating a sustainable clean energy future and excited to join in on our mission to make energy-related data meaningful, transparent, and broadly accessible.
Kevala is looking for a Software Engineer to join our growing team. This individual will collaborate across the company to translate project requirements into a generalized, intuitive product for interfacing with all aspects of the electric grid: solar power, electric vehicles, energy efficiency, demand response, batteries, wholesale markets, and more. If you would enjoy working with other professionals who believe in accelerating a clean energy future by making electric and environmental data meaningful, transparent, and broadly accessible, we encourage you to apply.
What you will be doing
- Working in Django, Postgresql, and Heroku. Depending on how you want to stretch yourself, the rest of our stack includes SvelteJS, Google Cloud Platform, Kubernetes.
- Diving into difficult problems facing the US electric grid, especially relating to real-time temporal and geospatial data visualization, and cybersecurity
- Helping to scale and generalize our platform, moving beyond bespoke solutions to implementing efficient and delightful ways of making sense of energy data
- Collaborating with other engineers on designing and implementing product features whilst providing constant feedback through pull requests
- Expanding your areas of technical expertise as we experiment with new products
What you need to succeed
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience designing and deploying APIs with an empathetic, user-first mindset
- Versatility and enthusiasm for taking on novel problems and learning new technologies
What will make you stand out
- Experience in the utility, clean energy, regulatory, or automotive industry
- Familiarity with geospatial and temporal datasets or data types
- Experience using cloud services such as Heroku, Google Cloud Platform, and AWS
We are headquartered in San Francisco, but we embrace the virtual office and are continuing to grow our team across the United States.
$70,000-$135,000 (depending on experience and location)
As a Kevalier, you will have access to offer a wide range of benefits including equity, affordable health coverage (medical, dental, vision), unlimited time off, physical wellness allowance, and professional development.
Who we are
Our team is passionate about decarbonizing the electric grid. We are focused on solving the challenges facing energy market participants interacting with the evolving electricity grid. America’s aging electric system is facing rapid transformation from changing technology and proliferation of distributed energy resources. Kevala is providing data and analysis to accelerate smart investment in a world served by a more robust, environmentally sustainable, effective, and safe grid. The principle of creating a better future by mapping our mutual energy sources and systems is the foundation for everything we do.
We are an equal opportunity employer that believes a diverse team will not just lead to a better working environment but will also help us create better products and services.
Kevala is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. If any reasonable accommodation is needed in our process, please reach out to [email protected]