Senior Software Engineer
Column · Remote (USA)
Why we're hiring
Column is looking to hire its first senior software engineer as we expand and scale our product offering. We are looking for a full-time addition to join a small team at an early-stage startup focused on the future of public interest information and journalism.
As an experienced member of a small but growing engineering team, you will play an immediate role in architectural, product and customer experience decisions across our application.
We are looking to grow quickly. We think this role is excellent for someone that has spent several years working in a larger engineering organization and is now looking to apply what they have learned to a smaller more dynamic environment, and wants to help build a development team from the ground up.
Column is a remote-first company with core members of our team on four continents and an in-person headquarters in Washington, DC.
This role will report directly to our CTO and will work collaboratively with our Product and Customer Experience teams.
- Own the execution of major features across our application
- Communicate, plan and implement architectural and cultural changes within our development team
- Provide technical guidance to other engineers on the team to ensure we are building an engineering culture focused both on high-quality maintainable code
- Significant professional experience as an individual contributor in an engineering organization
- Experience working with cross-functional teams of engineering, product and design
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to effectively communicate technical solutions with non-technical partners
- Excitement to be part of building a company from the ground up
Qualities we are looking for
- Rigor - attention to detail without losing the forest for the trees; strong analytical lens on what's working and what isn't — consistent and adept follow-through.
- Humility - we are a young company, and we learn by recognizing that we don't know everything. Our team routinely engages partners that have worked in similar roles for decades — willingness to seek help and advice is core to folks that will succeed on our team.
- Optimism - we are setting out to do a hard and important thing in an industry underserved by modern technology, something entirely uncertain, and optimism that it is possible is a must.
- Effective Communicator - we want folks who are empathetic, exceptional listeners, and clear & concise communicators verbally and in writing.
- Strong affinity to live and work by our operating principles.
What you'll do
- First week: get to know our team, our market and our product
- First three weeks: take on scoped technical projects, audit our existing development process, make individual contributions to our codebase
- First nine weeks: own the execution of major features, make recommendations for process changes, collaborate with product and customer experience teams as a stakeholder on our product roadmap
- First year: serve as the first experienced hire on a growing engineering team, and help lay the foundation for building a technical team of consequence. One year is about as long as the company has been around, so we are looking for you to help us define what else this milestone includes!
Compensation & Benefits
Our benefits will grow as fast or faster than we do, starting with:
- Base salary and meaningful equity stake in the venture
- Healthcare, Vision, & Dental coverage for you and your dependents
- Unlimited (and encouraged) paid time off
- Paid parental leave