Senior Software Engineer
Angaza · Remote (USA)
Partners & AdvocatesPosted 4 months ago
Angaza creates software that enables businesses to sell life-changing products, on credit, to low-income consumers in emerging markets. Our technology uses an IoT network of connected devices, mobile payments, and machine learning to accelerate the adoption of solar energy systems, smartphones, and appliances.
Over 2 billion people across the globe live off-grid or are unbanked. Connecting this population to power, productive-use appliances, and financial services represents a $400 Billion+ current market opportunity. Angaza’s B2B technology platform enables distribution businesses in emerging markets to grow their revenue by over 8x by extending their sales and credit offerings to this consumer base.
When a family in Tanzania (or Nicaragua, or Nigeria, or India…) pays a weekly installment on their new home solar installation, their payment is processed by Angaza backend software. When a distributor monitors the repayment performance of their loan portfolio, they use an Angaza web application to do so. Our software is already used by businesses in 50+ countries around the world to improve the daily lives of over 5 million people.
We're looking for a senior software engineer to join our Business Foundations team (one of four product development teams at Angaza). Applicants should have 4+ years of prior software engineering work experience. We have listed key responsibilities and elements of our tech stack below.
- Logic for core business entities: accounts, users, pricing structures, and dozens more
- A suite of data integration services across multiple channels, frequencies, and scales
- Authentication, authorization, and security
- Our custom billing system and its integrations with third party financial services
Our software-as-a-service stack
- Web application REST to CRUD functionality, using Python’s Flask, SQLAlchemy, and Celery
- A React/Redux Web front end UI, and many machine-read endpoints
- AWS infrastructure, monitoring, and incident response
- Multiple Postgres instances holding terabytes of data in a multi-tenant configuration
- An Android application serving thousands of daily users in 14 languages
We don’t expect you to have mastered all of those technologies. “Full stack” means that you should expect to work across client and backend software as necessary; the Business Foundations team does not work on the Android application. The current breakdown is roughly 60%-20%-15%-5%-0%, but it can shift quarter-to-quarter.
As a senior software engineer, you will
- Join us with significant skills in developing large software systems
- Learn the specific technologies new to you (notably Angaza’s complex business logic and data flow), often by apprenticing to developers with less total experience, but more Angaza knowledge
- Provide servant leadership by sharing your existing knowledge of effective SaaS software development with the team, including best practices for developing scalable and performant services
- Exemplify Angaza's core values of empathy, trustworthiness, collaboration, courage, innovation, and impact
- Devote hours a week to code reviews, pairing sessions, and informal mentoring
- Deploy code daily
- Celebrate the team’s accomplishments bi-weekly
- Design significant new systems quarterly
- Enrich the lives of millions of individual human beings
- Support tens of thousands of new jobs
- Avert hundreds of millions of kilograms of CO2 emissions annually
Please use the linked form to submit a resume and any other materials you'd like to share to support your application. You will also be required to complete three pre-screening questions. Our interview process includes a phone call with our People Operations team and hiring manager, a skills assessment, and a panel interview with members of the product development teams. While we aim to hire someone as soon as possible, this interview process usually takes 2-3 weeks for the average candidate to complete.
Work authorization: Due to the nature of the role, Angaza is unable to sponsor employment visas. All applicants are required to share their work authorization status when applying, and applicants who require visa sponsorship for employment will be removed from consideration.
Location: This position reports to our San Francisco team. Remote candidates are encouraged to reply, as long as they are based in the US, eligible to work in the US, and are comfortable adjusting their working hours to mostly overlap with Pacific time. For applicants based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Angaza will be reopening an in-person workspace on a voluntary basis, for employees who prefer not to work from a home office. The anticipated reopening date is Q4 2021; however, this is not a guarantee and is contingent on availability as well as local COVID-19 safety protocols.
Angaza is a for-profit company based in San Francisco and Nairobi.
Our global technical team is more than two dozen people. We strive to be thoughtful, pragmatic, and collaborative. You can read more about Angaza engineering culture on Key Values and our engineering blog.
Our hiring process always includes an initial phone conversation and at least one on-site interview. We don’t believe in gotcha logic puzzles or adversarial whiteboard exercises, and we give you specific constructive feedback wherever possible.
Employees receive salary, an equity stake in Angaza, and benefits that include:
- Medical, life, and disability insurance
- 401(k) with company match
- Parental leave at 100% salary
- Your transit or bike commute expenses paid by Angaza (if you commute)
- Flexible time off
- Free snacks and drinks (if you’re in an office)
- Team and mission that you can believe in
Our Commitment to DEI
At Angaza, we evaluate all candidates on the basis of their ability to meet stated job requirements. We do not discriminate against candidates on the basis of sex, gender, marital status, religion, nationality, or other personal characteristics. In keeping with our commitment to supporting a safe and inclusive workplace, we strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented backgrounds to apply.