Senior Software Engineer
Truth Initiative · Remote (USA)
WHO WE ARE
Truth Initiative® is America’s largest non-profit public health organization dedicated to making tobacco use a thing of the past. We speak, seek and spread the truth about tobacco through education, tobacco-control research and policy studies, community activism and engagement, and innovation in tobacco dependence treatment.
This position is part of the Innovations Center, a cross-functional team that designs, builds, evaluates, and markets leading digital solutions to help people of all ages live tobacco free. The EX Program® is Truth Initiative’s enterprise-level digital tobacco cessation program designed for employers, health systems, and health plans. Developed in collaboration with Mayo Clinic, the EX Program is designed for tobacco users across the motivational continuum. It supports users through multiple, integrated modalities which include a website with an online social network (www.becomeanex.org), dynamically tailored text messaging, email, synchronous live chat digital coaching, and pharmacotherapy decision support and delivery. We provide value to our clients by helping their employees/members live healthier lives and demonstrating that value through a variety of reporting mechanisms. Science is in our DNA. In addition to delivering cessation solutions, we conduct field-leading, federally funded research to advance the science of tobacco cessation.
You will join the Innovations Software Development Team to design, build, and deploy novel approaches to reducing tobacco use. The team is a small, collaborative, agile group, where each developer has a significant impact on our products.
This is a wonderful opportunity for developers who like to see their code through from idea to operation, enjoy iterative improvements to software and processes, and value roles where they help solve serious public health problems with software. We value diversity of background and experience.
WHY WORK HERE
- This work literally saves lives – our products help people quit a deadly and addictive habit that they want out of their lives and need help kicking.
- Our workflow and systems are modern and well maintained; we have CI, frequent and easy releases, excellent test coverage, and a great culture of peer PRs and QA.
- You will have a significant impact; we are growing our team and retooling to improve our core products, and you will be able to shape that growth and the team itself.
- We take care of you --- our healthcare is excellent (a PPO); our vacation policy is well above industry standards; and our 401K program includes a generous contribution, not just a match.
- Improve and maintain the EX platform through full participation in the software development lifecycle – including architecture and design, coding, testing, code review, documentation, and deployment.
- Collaborate with others outside of the development team to understand the problems, propose solutions, and verify delivery.
- Work directly on the product yourself by contributing code and developing features.
- Ensure quality by
- Writing automated tests
- Peer testing
- Performing peer code review
- Updating documentation
- Mentoring junior developers
You should have some of these, but certainly not all are required.
- A minimum of 7 years development experience, preferably in web development.
- Familiarity with basic version control concepts – preferably Git.
- Unit testing experience and/or enthusiasm.
- You love to learn and use new technologies.
- You are looking for something more rewarding than just a web development job where the goal is to get more ad clicks.
- You like working collaboratively on a team and welcome feedback on code reviews.
- Bonus points if:
- You consider yourself excellent at any of our major technologies: Python, Django, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Git, Heroku, or Celery/RabbitMQ.
- You’ve deployed code into production.
- You have frontend experience (JS/CSS) beyond a typical backend developer.
Competitive salary with EXCELLENT benefits.
Interested candidates should submit their cover letter and resume here
mail application materials to:
Attn: Senior Software Engineer
900 G Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001
Fax: (202) 454-5597
No telephone calls please.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status or disability.