Embedded Software Engineer
Running Tide · Portland, ME
EnvironmentPosted 4 months ago
Oceans represent two-thirds of the Earth’s surface and have an understated role to play in the future of our life on Earth. Coastlines that were once abundant ecosystems and thriving communities are facing ecologic and economic collapse. At Running Tide, we have experienced this firsthand, and we know the problem won't solve itself. That’s why we are building technologies to accelerate and scale the most impactful restorative processes naturally at work in the ocean. We are building a climate positive future by harnessing the power of the ocean.
We are growing our Software engineering team. In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to build software in a fast paced environment onto devices deployed in a harsh environment that we will use to fight climate change. One day you’ll be heads down writing code and the next you’ll be out on a boat validating your code works. If the idea of being given a task and being told to figure out how to solve it and launch it asap excites you, then we are a perfect fit. This position requires being onsite for testing your code, local applicants only please.
- Develop and architect embedded software for our aquaculture monitoring platforms using low-power microcontrollers and embedded Linux systems
- Lead sensors integration from concept through to production (sensor selection, prototyping, software development, and assist with test/calibration process)
- Make unit tests to validate the functionality of your code
- Ability to jump between many programming languages and context
- Board bringup and hardware design validation
- Desire to fight climate change
- Experience in C/C++Experience with NodeJS and/or Python preferred
- Strong OO Experience
- 3-5 years embedded software and/or firmware development experience with experience with microcontroller and Linux development
- Comfortable using hardware debug tools (DMM, oscilloscopes, logic analyzers) and software debug tools
- Experience with various bus interfaces and serial protocols (I2C, SPI, RS-485, etc)
Our teams operate with utmost persistence. We are tackling the world’s most difficult and important problems, and we are unwavering in our motivation to find a solution. At our core, we are innovators driven to do "more good" rather than "less bad" in the world.
Running Tide is committed to building a diverse team, bringing as many possible perspectives to bear on the unprecedented challenges facing our planet. We are committed to building an inclusive environment where people of all backgrounds can come to do their best work.