Lead Software Engineer, Aselo (Tech Matters, Remote)
Tech Matters · Remote
Build a global tech platform, help millions of children, and take a leadership role at an early-stage social enterprise.
Aselo is a SaaS platform for crisis helplines that support the safety and mental health of children. Many helplines around the world are signing up, and it’s time to scale to meet the need. We are looking for a generalist senior engineer with a backend and infrastructure focus who can help build our team and our systems to provide vulnerable kids with the best service possible.
This role is for you if you:
- want to make a difference on a global scale
- like being a generalist who can hop in anywhere
- are confident building secure, reliable backend architectures
- ready for a tech lead or management role
In this role you will:
- lead complex engineering projects and be given a healthy mix of autonomy and support
- design and build new features and systems with high standards of reliability, security and scalability
- exemplify and champion good engineering process, planning, scoping and estimation: writing great design documents, laying out clear plans, and following up with good documentation and maintenance planning
- contribute to an inclusive, collaborative and positive culture
- interview, mentor and support the success of new and existing team members
- five years of professional software development experience
- experience building and maintaining scalable, highly reliable backend systems on cloud infrastructure
- active involvement in agile team development processes
- ability to pick up new skills quickly
- excellent communication, organization, and prioritization skills
This person will report to our Director of Engineering. The position is remote, and you’ll work with a team distributed across multiple time zones. You can work from any location where real-time, virtual collaboration is possible from 8am - 11am Pacific Time.
You should apply
Our users come from all kinds of communities, and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our organization stronger in delivering social impact. We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities.
We know there are great candidates who might not check all of these boxes or who possess important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
An important part of every application is a cover letter describing why this position and our mission particularly resonated with you.
Aselo is an early-stage and rapidly growing social enterprise with the goal of helping 100 million kids in crisis all around the world by 2025. In partnership with Child Helpline International and its over 160 helpline members in nearly 140 countries, we operate an open source, cloud-based contact center platform built to give these crisis helplines the same technology power enjoyed by big corporate call centers.
The need is great: these child helplines receive over 30 million calls annually yet many are only able to answer one-third of the calls they receive. 94% of their communications are still voice calls, while the vast majority of children are far more comfortable with text. During the pandemic, volumes have increased by 50% or more in many countries, increasing the urgency for upgraded technology. Aselo is now the production system for two national helplines in Africa with many more around the world in the process of adopting it.
Aselo's donors include the End Violence Fund (at UNICEF), Twilio, Facebook, and former Google CEO Eric Schmidt's newest foundation, Schmidt Futures.
About Tech Matters
Tech Matters is a nonprofit organization with a mission to bring the benefits of technology to all of humanity. We work hand-in-hand with social change visionaries to build tech solutions needed for real systems change, to create large-scale, positive impact. Tech Matters is staffed by tech experts with a passion for social justice and a commitment to further positive social change. Aselo is our first new social enterprise to launch. We are fiscally sponsored by Benetech, Silicon Valley’s leading tech-for-good nonprofit.