Backend Engineer, Payment Intelligence
Stripe · Seattle, WA/Remote (USA)
The Payment Intelligence group optimizes each of the billions of dollars of transactions processed by Stripe annually on behalf of our users, maximizing successful transactions while minimizing payment costs and fraud. We own products like Radar end-to-end: from developing machine learning models, to building performant and scalable systems and services, and creating user-facing products that enable our users to combat fraud and give them insights into how their business is performing. We serve real-time predictions as part of Stripe’s payment infrastructure and architect controls that leverage ML to optimally manage users’ business.
We’re looking for people with a strong background and passion in building successful backend systems, services and APIs that deliver impactful product values to our customers. You are comfortable in dealing with changes. You love to take initiatives, and bias towards action.
- Design, build, and maintain scalable, reliable and performant services and systems
- Work with a wide range of systems, processes and technologies to own and solve technical and product problems
- Build and launch new capabilities and products that bring significant value to customers
- Uphold our high engineering standards, and elevate quality and engineering efficiency within our many codebases and processes
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the organization including dependency engineering teams, product, design, infrastructure, and operations
- Mentor engineers earlier in their technical careers to help them grow
We’re looking for someone who has:
- At least 5 years of professional software development experience
- Experience in large scale distributed system designs
- Experience in successful delivery of high quality production services and systems
- An ability to quickly grasp many different services and processes, and the knowledge of when and how to leverage them
- Skills for upholding and improving software engineering practices such as high quality code, thorough testing, clear runbook documentation, and adequate production observability
- The ability to thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Empathy with their users and a strong customer focus
- Enjoyment in working with a diverse group of people with different expertise
Nice to haves:
- Experience with or interest in ML, which powers many of the products we own
- Experience in payments and/or fraud
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do). We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.