Staff Software Engineer
Tempus · Chicago, IL
Are you passionate about building great software products?
At Tempus, software products are owned and developed by small, autonomous teams composed of developers, designers, scientists, and product managers. Our team set the goals, build the software, deploy the code, and contribute to a growing software platform that will make a lasting impact in the fields of cancer research and precision medicine.
Tempus builds software as nimble as our teams. Our modern tech stack - dynamic languages and the latest open source and cloud services - allows our teams to iterate rapidly and lead our industry in innovation. Our decentralized, microservice architecture and emphasis on loosely coupled architecture and automation allow us to deliver advanced solutions with confidence, and at scale.
Why we’re looking for you:
- You've got several years of experience working on software development teams, and are confident leading technical analysis & design, evaluating tradeoffs, and establishing best practices
- You love exploring hard problems and solving them with data-driven, iterative software development
- You understand the challenges and appreciate the rewards of a distributed and event-based architecture
- You've worked in fast-paced, agile environments and helped keep projects on track, troubleshoot roadblocks, write documentation, and coordinate cross-team collaboration
- You enjoy collaborating with a diverse, talented team and mentoring and learning from team members regardless of experience level
- You have a bias for action, learning from failure to iterate your way to success
- You have experience working with cloud infrastructure providers (Amazon Web Services,, Google Cloud, etc), and related tools like Docker
- You are a polyglot coder - you have experience with and are comfortable using a variety of programming languages and frameworks, and picking up new ones
Bonus points for:
- Expertise in Google Cloud Platform
- Experience with distributed compute technologies - Hadoop ecosystem, Spark, BigQuery, BigTable, etc.
- Experience in biotech, genomics, and precision medicine
Responsibilities for the position:
- Work with a variety of teams cross-functionally to solve diverse, foundational problems for the engineering organization
- Work with product team members and stakeholders to discuss project priorities, scope, and trade-offs to deliver the right solutions at the right time
- Discover deficiencies in engineering tooling, designs, and processes and make the case for and driving improvements
- As part of our Patterns and Practices group, help level-up engineering practice across Tempus through documentation, mentorship, training, and engagement with engineers
- Present new technologies and ideas to the broader organization, and the ability to communicate effectively and without bias while accepting critical feedback
- Build consensus across many teams when promoting a new solution
- Effectively embed on engineering teams to both learn their processes and pain points but also to help and teach them how to deliver high value software solutions