Senior Software Engineer (AWS)
AMPLY Power · Mountain View, CA
About the job
AMPLY is a fast-growing 2020 Global CleanTech 100 company, honored for Innovation in Electric Vehicle Fleet Charging and Management. We are an energy technology company going after an emerging $100B market opportunity. We are looking for individuals with a passion for technology and exceptional skills in distributed IoT using AWS systems design. This is a full-time position based at our HQ office in Mountain View, CA.
Are you passionate and deeply curious about technology? Can you see all the moving parts of a project and bring them together with precision? Do you believe in clean energy and building a more sustainable future? So does AMPLY. The ideal AWS certified senior software engineer must have a proven track record of building a highly complex, distributed data management in real-time, and event-controlled system. Apply your passion and experience to real-world EV fleet charging challenges as we eliminate carbon emissions.
- Design and develop software for the current and next generation of Amply’s product platform and services
- Write well structured, testable, efficient, and maintainable code using AWS technologies
- Build and deploy software tools, processes, and metrics
- Provide technical architectural direction, lead the design and implementation of Amply’s technical vision and own the platform architecture as a whole
- Complete CI/CD pipeline, data pipelines, code pipelines
- Evaluate and implement complex solutions
- Working with others on the engineering team to manage day-to-day development activities, participate in designs, design reviews, code reviews, and implementation
- Work with microservices and distributed systems while shipping quality code
- Design, develop, and maintain distributed software systems that incorporate real-time and streaming data for monitoring, aggregation, and control
- Design, architecture, and development of AMPLY’s site / local controller distributed software stack[CB(NA1]
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science or related discipline
- 8+ years of experience in engineering with a demonstrated track record of technical innovation
- 8+ years of hands-on experience in large-scale (distributed) system architecture, complex software design, high scalability and availability, optimization, etc.[CB(NA2]
- Experience building & deploying cloud-based solutions leveraging AWS technologies (IoT Core, IAM, RDS, DynamoDB, etc.)
- 5+ years of experience with Amazon Web Services code-defined infrastructure: CloudFormation, Terraform
- Proficiency with CI/CD pipelines, test automation, multi-variant testing
- 8+ years of experience in developing or executing distributed systems with a focus on building IoT applications[CB(NA3]
- Excellent programming skills in IoT framework, HTTP RESTful API design, Linux and Python, C and C++
- Proven history of successful problem solving with a strong sense of ownership
- AWS Associate-level certification or equivalent
AMPLY is redefining the EV charging market for private and public fleets, including autonomous driving fleets, transit bus agencies, municipal and private fleets. We are building the next level of charging as a service, taking complete ownership and control of the charging infrastructure, the scheduling of the vehicles, the cloud platform and the utility meter - in order to provide the highest availability and resilience in the market. In this way, we will accelerate the adoption of electric-powered fleets by optimizing the delivery of power and making refueling seamless and efficient.
In a high-powered application like vehicle fast charging, the difference between controlled, optimally balanced vs unrestrained EV charging could be 3x in cost from your local utility. Even more importantly, EV fleets, in particular when part of critical and close to real-time business processes (for example in autonomous fleets) need to be scheduled for charging in specific time intervals. By taking control of the utility meter, optimizing EV charge rate, and vehicle process flow, AMPLY provides the lowest cost of electric fueling possible in a given depot location or in-route stops.
Our approach is to offer charging as a service, which is unique in the industry. We offer our customers a per mile driven usage rate. AMPLY provides the bulk of the upfront capital expenditures associated with the charging platform.
[CB(NA1]I haven’t reviewed this closely yet, but I’ve found this JD that was similar to what we’re looking for: https://careers.google.com/jobs/results/122983198477951686/
I would like to have the tone of this section match the rest of the JD in terms of being general/broad in the responsibilities but concise in what we’re looking for. E.g. I don’t want to be very domain-specific here as candidates will not likely understand what we’re looking for (or make wrong assumptions)
[CB(NA2]Move this to the preferred section, remove the # of years and frame as having the experience of building solutions that involve some or all of those features (distributed arch, high availability, machine learning, etc.)
[CB(NA3]Would remove as it is a duplicate on one of the items above