Director of Civic Tech
BlueLabs Analytics · Remote - Washington, DC
BlueLabs is a leading provider of analytics services and technology for government, business, and campaigns. Founded in 2013 by senior members of the Obama for America re-election campaign team, we help our clients optimize their engagements with individual customers, supporters and stakeholders to achieve their goals.
Today, our team counts over 60 data scientists, engineers, and strategists from diverse backgrounds who share a passion for using data to solve the world’s greatest social and analytical challenges. We’ve served more than 400 organizations ranging from political campaigns to advocacy groups, unions, government agencies, and international groups, as well as companies in the automotive, travel, consumer packaged goods, entertainment, healthcare, media, telecom, and other industries. Along the way, we’ve developed some of the most innovative tools available in analytics, media optimization, reporting, and influencer outreach.
About the Team
The BlueLabs Civic Tech practice revolutionizes the way government agencies use data to streamline operations, interact with citizens, and react to their biggest challenges. Our team develops deep expertise within the areas our clients care about most, then builds data analytics systems that create impact at scale. We work closely with internal government innovation groups, and build on the analytics methodology pioneered in e-commerce, advocacy, politics, and consumer finance.
You will work on a fast-paced, impact-driven project team charged with intelligently improving the operations powering the policies and programs that hundreds of millions of Americans interact with on a daily basis. Our work builds the frameworks and infrastructure that allows agencies to deal with big public health challenges. We bring definition to challenging problems, creatively identify data sources, then design analytics that accurately measure impact and move the needle every day. We work in changing, ambiguous environments, so we embrace nuance, inclusivity, and complexity to deliver programs that work for the diverse groups of individuals who rely on us.
About the Role
As the Director of Civic Tech, you will be responsible for managing BlueLabs’ suite of civic tech programs and their managers and guiding their performance, evolution, and strategic direction. You have a demonstrated track record of leadership in a space where the work is technical in nature while the direction of work is influenced by emergent events such as the ongoing pandemic, changes to policies, and social trends. You are driven by applying data and technology towards improving equality of access to services and ensuring that individuals of all backgrounds have a personalized, responsive, and engaging experience as they use them.
What You’ll Do
- Serve as the principal representative for BlueLabs’ Civic Tech Practice
- Advise program teams and our clients on responding to internal or external factors that BlueLabs is uniquely suited to address.
- Develop project planning and brainstorming approaches that help our teams address big picture problems and set ambitious and tangible long-term goals.
- Maintain a healthy awareness of program status and client satisfaction by championing client relationships
- Implement strategies for ensuring quality product and a high depth of work while not micromanaging or reviewing every piece of work product.
- Serve as a strategic advisor to clients and partner organizations
- Develop a strong working relationship with both CMS staff and partner contractor organizations.
- Alongside our Senior Advisor and Client Solutions team, help to grow our existing work by finding opportunities to expand our work.
- Help programs achieve excellence in their work delivery by supporting and challenging teams of analysts, data scientists, engineers, and program leads.
- Continually develop and grow a team of program leads by contributing to their professional development goals and helping them build their skillsets as people managers
- Lead recruiting and hiring efforts for the civic tech practice
- Develop staffing plans and recommendations for systems and process supports for the civic tech practice.
Who You Are
- You have a strength for instilling leadership and motivation in others
- You are passionate about helping technical teams to address societal challenges
- You have a strong personal learning network that allows you to identify potential problems early and bring new approaches to the organizations you work with directly.
- You celebrate wins and coach through challenges
- You are unhappy with the status quo of limited health access in America, and you have specific perspectives on how good policy and innovative teams can address disparities.
- You have impeccable ethics and judgment in maintaining highly sensitive and confidential information
- You stay well-organized and are a clear, proactive communicator
Preferred Experience and Background
- 6-8+ years of experience working with high-stakes clients, preferably in healthcare, technology, or consumer engagement services
- Experience leading high performing consulting teams (or internal teams that act like consultants).
- Experience with some of the problem domains we address: people and operations analytics, individual-level outreach, or growth analytics for digital applications.
- Familiarity with the healthcare and/or civic technology experiences and challenges.
- Demonstrated commitment and specific experience building diverse and inclusive teams
- Experience leading multiple people managers
Salary and Benefits
The position is based out of our Washington, DC office and reports to the VP of Programs. The salary for this position is $130,000+ annually.
At BlueLabs, we celebrate, support and thrive on differences. Not only do they benefit our services, products, and community, but most importantly, they are to the benefit of our team. Qualified people of all races, ethnicities, ages, sex, genders, sexual orientations, national origins, gender identities, marital status, religions, veterans statuses, and disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. As an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer, BlueLabs is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.