Manager, Software Engineering
NWEA · Portland, OR
NOTE: This is a full-time opportunity with competitive compensation and an outstanding benefits package. Candidates who currently reside in any location throughout the United States may be considered.
About this role...
Are you ready to help build the foundation for student learning and make a difference in the lives of millions of students across the county, using the latest in cloud technologies? NWEA is seeking a Manager of Software Engineering in the State Division to lead teams in building great applications that are scalable, secure, delight our customers and, most importantly, help kids learn.
In this role we are looking for someone who can get their hands dirty alongside the team, while also leading them to a technical vision. The teams you manage will be full stack, with additional cloud infrastructure responsibilities. You’ll work with multiple organizational layers and people in multiple roles to coordinate development and delivery. Attention to quality is especially important and finding ways to automate any tasks in the development process is crucial. The ability to adapt to fluid situations and engage in systemic change with regards to development will be hallmarks of a great candidate.
Are you a great team player, ready to lead and eager to make change happen? Then come join us!
Your next challenge...
- Foster alignment to NWEA’s mission, culture, and initiatives
- Be a great teammate. Help your peers to lead a successful organization and don’t be afraid to raise your hand when you need help
- Attract, recruit, develop, retain and manage performance of a staff in an inclusive, equitable manner. Know your staff, don’t just manage them
- Collaborate with your staff and help in developing quality code that is scalable, secure and follows best practices. Ultimately be responsible for the applications, infrastructure, and code that your team develops or operates upon
- Champion the cause of improving the development process. Actively participate in driving department/division-wide change
- Keep work visible and communicate effectively within the organization.
- Continue learning. Keep investigating new and/or better technologies and ways to develop
- Perform other duties as assigned to ensure the success of the team and the organization
Traits for success...
- Demonstrated strong team leadership and mentoring skills with software developers
- Ability to solve complex problems and issues
- Ability to proactively bring together stakeholders and other responsible parties to facilitate project success or overcome obstacles
- Detail-oriented, with the ability to track multiple facets of problems and solutions
- Ability to bring clarity and make progress in ambiguous or uncertain situations and environments
- Willingness to push forward diversity, equity and inclusion amongst staff
- Ability to adapt to dynamic situations – a sensor of humor always helps
- Develop talent: develop people to meet both their career goals and the organization's goal
- Manage conflict: handle conflict situations effectively, with a minimum of noise
- Communicate effectively: develop and deliver multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences
- Collaborate: build partnerships and work collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
- Customer focus: build strong customer relationships and deliver customer-centric solutions
- Plan and align: plan and prioritize work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals
- Drive results: consistently achieve results, even under tough circumstances
- Instill trust: gain the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity
- Direct work: provide direction, delegation, and remove obstacles to get work done
- Build effective teams: build strong-identity teams that apply diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals
Education and Experience…
- Minimum bachelor’s degree (major in computer science or a related field is preferred)
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered in lieu of a degree
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in the software development industry required. Understanding of full-stack development challenges
- Minimum 3 years’ experience developing applications or tools
- AWS experience required
NWEA® is a research-based, not-for-profit organization that supports students and educators worldwide by creating assessment solutions that precisely measure growth and proficiency—and provide timely data to help tailor instruction. For more than 40 years, NWEA has developed innovative pre-K–12 assessments, including our flagship interim assessment, MAP® Growth™; our progress monitoring and skills mastery tool, MAP® Skills™; and our reading fluency and comprehension assessment, MAP® Reading Fluency™. Educators trust our professional learning offerings to accelerate student learning and our research to support assessment validity and data interpretation. More than 11 million students in 146 countries use our solutions to support their learning and growth each year.
What We Can Offer You…
At NWEA we not only offer a competitive base salary, we offer a 15% contribution of eligible employees’ base salary to a defined contribution 403(b) retirement savings plan; career development opportunities; an awesome work culture and environment; we also offer industry leading benefits and perks that are focused on supporting our employees’ holistic wellbeing. To learn more about what we can offer more, click here.
NWEA strives to make diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA) practices the center of our work. Our organization’s mission, Partnering to Help All Kids Learn, is the foundation for our DEIA commitment as we work to reflect, value, and support the educators, students, colleagues, and communities we serve. We seek to empower and engage all stakeholders in the research, services, solutions, and products we provide, our organizational culture, and the partnerships we establish with schools, districts, states, and countries.
NWEA is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For our EEO Policy Statement, please visit our website. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please visit the EEOC website