Full-Stack Software Engineer - Entry
Emerson Collective · Palo Alto, CA
Partners & Advocates
Human Rights & Equality
Health & Well-BeingPosted 2 months ago
User Experience Design (UX)
About the jobOverview
Emerson Collective deploys a wide range of tools — from impact investing to philanthropy to advocacy — in pursuit of a more equal and just America. We focus on creating systemic change in education, immigration, climate, and cancer research and treatment. Established and led by Laurene Powell Jobs, we work to create new possibilities for individuals and communities.
Emerson Collective is impatient but optimistic, and bold but pragmatic in its approach. To meet the ambitious goals of its founder, Emerson Collective is seeking colleagues with both the audacity to dream up new ways to improve the world, and the determination to make them a reality.
The Engineering group is a small and diverse team that understands the power of technology to accelerate change. Our mission is to develop new solutions to identify gaps and amplify the outstanding work being done by our partners. We are humble engineers who bring the philosophies of user-centered design to our work.
Our team strives to ensure we use the tools at our disposal to amplify the priorities of EC by providing technical services, analyzing data, and building products. The evolution of our tech work will modernize infrastructure, fill in gaps, and raise the tide for our ecosystem of communities and leaders.
This is a full-stack software engineering position in which you will have the opportunity to learn from and partner with amazing innovators working towards social change at scale. Emerson Collective’s multiple groups use technology in a myriad of different ways, and we’re looking for an engineer who can quickly understand the tools and processes currently in place and develop new creative tools to help fill the gaps.
Role And Responsibilities
- Work with individuals across the EC ecosystem who may not be technologists to help increase the reach and positive impact of the products we build and projects we support
- Prototype applications in different environments and languages, using the best tools for the task
- Demo to stakeholders and iterate
- Develop and exercise your understanding of UX and UI design best practices
- Apply a test-driven development paradigm
- Help teams improve their data operations by automating manual processes, and re-designing core infrastructure for scalability
- 5+ years of experience working as a Full-stack software engineer
- Sufficient HTML and CSS skills to be able to work with designers
- Strong customer empathy
- Experience with the entire product lifecycle from re-architecting, to green field, through launching and post-launch maintenance
- Strong communication skills at every level; within EC, at the executive level, and with external partners
- Flexible mindset, with no dogma around process or implementation
- Detail-oriented, outstanding organizational skills and demonstrated ability to balance multiple projects and deadlines
- Proficiency with tools and systems for exploring data (SQL, APIs, Notebooks) is a plus
Emerson Collective is a Bay Area-based organization with offices in Palo Alto, East Palo Alto, Oakland, Chicago, New York, and Washington, D.C. This position is remote. We are seeking candidates that are currently in or willing to relocate to the Bay Area or NYC.
The salary for this role is highly competitive and commensurate with experience. Emerson Collective offers excellent organizational benefits.
Building a diverse and inclusive workforce is key to our mission and values as we strive to create systemic change and open possibilities for all of the communities we serve. To that end, we provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetics.