User Research Coordinator (9-month contract)
Khan Academy · Mountain View, CA/Remote (USA)
Hello there! 👋🏾
We’re looking for a user research coordinator interested in joining our design team and applying their skills 🧠✏️ in service of a more just and equitable world ✊.
Your primary responsibilities will be to help facilitate research projects with our students and teachers👨🎓👩🏫 (i.e., managing scheduling, recruiting participants, securing spaces, handling day-of logistics, and more). You’ll get to work closely with functions such as user research, design, district success, and product management.
At Khan Academy, our mission is to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere 🌍🌏🌎. Khan Academy is a not-for-profit, and our funders care just as much as we do about our positive impact, efficacy, and leveling the playing field in education.
This position will be roughly 20 hours per week over 9 months (September 2021 - May 2022) for $50/hr.
What you’ll work on
- Manage the end-to-end participant recruitment process for studies happening in person or remotely. This includes screening participants, scheduling with the team and participant, calendar coordination, communicating with participants before and after the study, ensuring they are compensated, and maintaining a database of research participants.
- Managing and shepherding a panel of our teachers, district leaders, and students in our partner school districts.
- Creating and refining processes for recruiting and managing participants outside of our partner school districts.
- Work with user research, design, and product management team on the inbound research requests pipeline. Develop an understanding of their needs and the participants they’ll need.
- Ensure the recruiting process is compliant by working with our Legal counsel and school district partners.
- Helping to catalog and maintain a comprehensive database of past research projects (including participants, plans, and findings) to avoid duplication of efforts and to maintain appropriate relationships with users.
You may be a good fit if you
- Have experience in an operational, recruiting, or service oriented role.
- Are passionate about education and designing engaging learning experiences, and you’re deeply curious about how and why people learn.
- Are passionate about user research, user centered design, customer service, and fostering a positive experience for our students, teachers and school leaders.
- Enjoy and excel at communicating regularly with a diverse group of internal stakeholders and external research participants.
- Have strong attention to detail and skill at organizing information.
- Have the ability to coordinate multiple simultaneous projects on different timelines.
- Are proactive in addressing issues and solving problems that might come up in the logistical planning and execution of a research plan.
- Have experience working with historically under-resourced or represented communities.
- Have experience working in K-12/public education.
About the team
The team at Khan Academy comes from a wide variety of backgrounds, and we actively foster a cross-disciplinary environment because we believe that’s where the magic happens. Khan Academy currently employs around 200 full time staff, including the creators of our educational content, who come from teaching backgrounds.
The design team is a small, highly diverse group of people responsible for UX research, brand and marketing design, and product design. Each member has a lot of impact and makes huge contributions across the board. There are currently 15 people on the team, from a wide variety of backgrounds: media (Vox), civics (18F), consumer (Square, NerdWallet, Facebook), service (Starbucks) and the agency world (frog design, 2x4, Instrument). About half of the team is based in the Bay Area, and half is distributed across California, Washington, Oregon, Illinois, Maryland, and New York — so we operate in a creatively distributed-friendly way.
Our company values
Live & breathe learners
We deeply understand and empathize with our users. We leverage user insights, research, and experience to build content, products, services, and experiences that our users trust and love. Our success is defined by the success of our learners and educators.
Take a stand
As a company, we have conviction in our aspirational point of view of how education will evolve. The work we do is in service to moving towards that point of view. However, we also listen, learn and flex in the face of new data, and commit to evolving this point of view as the industry and our users evolve.
Embrace diverse perspectives
We are a diverse community. We seek out and embrace a diversity of voices, perspectives and life experiences leading to stronger, more inclusive teams and better outcomes. As individuals, we are committed to bringing up tough topics and leaning into different points of view with curiosity. We actively listen, learn and collaborate to gain a shared understanding. When a decision is made, we commit to moving forward as a united team.
Work responsibly and sustainably
We understand that achieving our audacious mission is a marathon, so we set realistic timelines and we focus on delivery that also links to the bigger picture. As a non-profit, we are supported by the generosity of donors as well as strategic partners, and understand our responsibility to our finite resources. We spend every dollar as though it were our own. We are responsible for the impact we have on the world and to each other. We ensure our team and company stay healthy and financially sustainable.
Bring out the joy
We are committed to making learning a joyful process. This informs what we build for our users and the culture we co-create with our teammates, partners and donors.
Cultivate learning mindset
We believe in the power of growth for learners and for ourselves. We constantly learn and teach to improve our offerings, ourselves, and our organization. We learn from our mistakes and aren’t afraid to fail. We don't let past failures or successes stop us from taking future bold action and achieving our goals.
We insist on high standards and deliver delightful, effective end-to-end experiences that our users can rely on. We choose to focus on fewer things — each of which aligns to our ambitious vision — so we can deliver high-quality experiences that accelerate positive measurable learning with our strategic partners.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.