Senior Data Scientist
Omnidian · Remote (USA)
Data + Analytics
Clean EnergyPosted 3 months ago
Omnidian is building a more sustainable future for the planet. We assure that IoT-enabled distributed energy assets perform at their best through our passionate teams, our innovative technology, and by creating an amazing customer experience. We're a well-funded, growth-stage company offering the potential for enormous impact, both on our products and on the world.
This role represents a unique opportunity to work at the cutting edge of energy IoT performance assurance in a rapidly growing data science team. As we scale our business and capabilities, you will help us build our data science offering while also helping to define our long-term vision and strategy.
Who you are
- You understand our business. You understand the context of Data Science within Omnidian’s products, business models, and strategic goals. You use this understanding to identify and prioritise high value projects.
- You understand the data your models ingest and generate. You are meticulous about exploratory data analysis, taking the time to understand the quality, provenance, and business context of the data your models touch. You subject your models to rigorous assumption checks, validation, and unit testing.
- You enjoy working with domain experts and customers; in order to understand their requirements and scope the role of data science in meeting them.
- You are impact focused. You are driven by delivering data science solutions which take the simplest approach to delivering value to our customers and progress towards our strategic goals.
- You value teaching and learning. As a critical thinker, you are always ready to learn new methods and concepts through your own research or from your colleagues. You are an excellent communicator and ready to take the time to explain your work to people outside of your domain.
- You are a systems thinker and doer. You will understand and own the impact and lifecycle of your models beyond a Jupyter Notebook. You take an active role in understanding and delivering our entire devops process across problem framing, prototyping, validation, deployment, and monitoring.
You may work on
- Time series analysis: cleaning, imputation, forecasting, feature development, and event classification.
- Solar PV system modelling: ranging from black box statistical models, grey-box behind the meter models, to fully deterministic physical models.
- Geospatial analysis: including basic GIS manipulation and spatial interpolation.
- Natural Language Processing: including ticket analysis and workflow automation.
- Statistical analysis: Actuarial analysis, survival analysis.
Skills you have
- Ability to translate Data Science skills into business impact: translating customer pain points into precise research questions and deployable solutions, while working with data of varying degrees of completeness, structure, and noise.
- Experience using statistical computer languages (R, Python, SLQ, etc.) to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets.
- Good understanding of statistical theory: population distributions, hypothesis testing, sampling regimes, experimental design, and robust statistical methods.
- Good understanding of major statistical learning models: supervised and unsupervised learning, classification, regression, clustering, and dimensionality reduction.
- Sound knowledge of data visualization and communication: The ability to use language and visualisations to concisely distill complex analysis into the essential points relevant to a specific audience.
An undergraduate degree in a quantitative field such as mathematics, physics, engineering.
A proven portfolio of successful data science projects delivered in real world business contexts over a minimum of 2 years.
An MSc or PhD in a quantitative field
Experience in signal processing and time series analysis.
Experience in combining physical and statistical modelling techniques.
We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our customers. We are committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity and inclusion and are committed to ensuring our hiring and retention practices as well as our office culture reflect
Omnidian is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to diversity in the workplace. We make employment decisions on the basis of merit and business need. We hire without consideration to age, ancestry, citizenship, disability, gender expression, gender identity, marital status, national origin, political activity or affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.