Rest of World · New York, NY
Rest of World is an international journalism publication that’s focused on exploring the impact of technology beyond the Western bubble. Our goal is to surface and showcase the often surprising and unintended effects of tech in places that get little attention from mainstream news outlets.
Through compelling storytelling and fresh, innovative design, our digital publication explores the spaces where tech, culture and human experience collide. We are a mission-driven nonprofit startup that aims to push forward our understanding of technology’s role in rapidly changing cultures.
Rest of World is looking for a Product Manager to partner across the organization with Audience and Editorial teams, to manage new offerings that inform and delight our readers, drive engagement, and showcase the best journalism and storytelling for Rest of World.
The Product Manager is part of a cross-functional design and development team. Our team is small, impactful, and highly autonomous. In the last year we have built a full off-platform experience, a high-performance website, traditional and experimental story formats, support for eleven different languages, curation and editorial tools, and boast a highly engaged newsletter audience.
We’re looking for an imaginative and strategic thinker, obsessively focused on getting to know our readers and their behavior. One who is also ready to roll up their sleeves and help with wireframes, project management, and user research as needed.
The right product manager will be enthusiastic about journalism and reader experience, and thrive in a fast environment. Unlike many media organizations, we are not ad- or subscription-driven, which allows for more creative freedom and flexibility.
This role is based in NYC. We are currently working remotely, with optional office access, but will return full-time to the office in September.
- Scope products and features, working closely within the design and engineering team to build them out
- Advocate for our readers and internal stakeholders in the product development process
- Define metrics for product success and track their progress
- Partner with our audience and editorial teams to develop reader first user-experiences, with a focus on audience growth and engagement
- Become a subject matter expert on our internal products and serve as point person for external team communication on product capabilities
- Join a dynamic and collaborative team that spans engineering, design, and product
- Work at the earliest stages of a mission-driven journalism initiative
- Collaborate with editorial and advocate for the reader
- Highly organized, and able to not lose track of the fine details
- Solid past experience building user-facing products in media, or similar areas
- A self-starter mindset that allows you to own and move projects forward
- Experience advocating for and evangelizing products across organizations
- The ability to balance longer-term planning with getting features out the door
- Understanding of the engineering challenges and primary technologies that support a media business
- Passion for our mission and a commitment to be a part of our innovation and growth
- Excellent communication, documentation, and commenting skills
- Curiosity about international affairs and/or the use of technology abroad a plus
- A strong work ethic, comfort with and an ability to be effective in fast-changing startup conditions, a motivated self-starter
- Collaborative, enjoys working in teams with different disciplines and learning from others
Not sure you have the exact experience or background? You should apply if working in web development and journalism appeals to you.
Read over the description one more time and ask if this is a role and organization that appeals to you and your career path, and then by email provide:
- Your name and the text “Product Manager” as the Subject
- Attach a resume and a short informal introduction
- Send it to [email protected]
If you have concerns that your resume may not adequately reflect your experience and background, or there is additional context that can’t be captured in a resume format; we welcome longer explanations in the email.
Working at Rest of World
At Rest of World, we are building a team that values diversity and believes in telling stories from communities and countries that are often ignored around the world. Here’s what you can expect when you join us:
- An attractive benefits package, featuring comprehensive, company-sponsored medical benefits, 401(k) matching, commuter and wellness reimbursement package, paid time-off, and generous primary and secondary parental leave time
- A competitive compensation package
- Opportunities to lead, grow, and learn from a talented group as we build a robust global team
Rest of World is an equal opportunity workplace. We value inclusion and diversity, and anyone who applies and qualifies for opportunities in the organization will receive consideration for employment without discrimination against age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, color or disability.