Backend Software Engineer, Data Infrastructure
Verily · Boulder, CO
Verily, an Alphabet company, lives at the intersection of technology, data science and healthcare. Our mission is to make the world’s health data useful so that people enjoy longer and healthier lives.
Our team combines expertise in healthcare, data science and technology to improve the health and well-being of our communities. We are developing the infrastructure and solutions to harness the profusion of health information for good. Our data-driven solutions span three primary areas: research, care and innovation. Programs include Project Baseline - our research initiative to increase participation and evidence generation in clinical research; Onduo - our personalized virtual care platform, which includes connected tools, lifestyle coaching and clinical support; and Debug - our effort to reduce the threat of mosquito-borne diseases by combining machine learning with sterile insect technique. We’re also actively working to combat the spread of COVID-19 through new programs like Healthy at Work.
The Data Infrastructure team aims to assist Verily’s software teams with the complexities of managing digitized health information. We want to simplify the deployment of ETL pipelines of health data so that Verily’s many software projects can make more progress with their analysts and data scientists and not have to hire dedicated pipeline engineers. We’re aiming to develop standard practices for tasks around curating and enriching digital patient records so that teams across Verily can collaborate and share their advances with each other. We’re a group of tool builders who measure ourselves by the satisfaction and adoption by our customers.
- Design and build components of data processing pipelines to ingest, normalize, transform, enrich, and audit health data.
- Develop a platform that is usable in multiple clouds and environments to satisfy the constraints of our many internal customers.
- Leverage the appropriate prior art in third-party and open-source data processing libraries and help us build bridges from our ecosystem to popular tooling.
- Listen to concerns and complaints from customers and help develop an ecosystem of tools that is easy to use, simple and powerful.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent practical experience in software engineering.
- 5+ years experience with any object-oriented programming language.
- Prior experience with cloud development and deployment technologies such as: Apache Airflow, Docker, Kubernetes, and Google Cloud Composer.
- Prior experience with multiple data processing and pipeline technologies such as: Map Reduce, Apache Spark, Apache Beam, Parquet, BigQuery, SQL, R, Pandas and/or dbt.
- Prior experience with Golang, Python, Terraform, React and/or Redux.
- Prior experience with health data, health informatics, or electronic medical records.
- A growth mindset and willingness to pick up new technologies and domain knowledge to be productive in the role.
(Colorado Only) Minimum Salary of $132,000 + bonus + equity + benefits.