BookNook · Remote (USA)
EducationPosted 3 months ago
BookNook is a dual bottom line education technology company that is committed to closing the early reading opportunity gap through innovations that prioritize authentic human connections to support learning. We believe the best edtech solutions are developed and supported by people with their roots in the classroom or the social sector, and we strive to build a team that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve.
As an Engineering Manager at BookNook, you will immediately play an integral role in building out, scaling, and optimizing our cloud-based learning platform. You will join our fast-growing team as an early employee that can build and shape the future direction of our services in delivering outstanding user experiences and learning tools. As an Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for identifying bottlenecks and clearing roadblocks to ensure the success of your team. In addition to strong management skills, the engineering manager acts as the leader for the technical roadmap for their product group. They clearly communicate timeline, scope, and risks to product group partners and lead the delivery of major initiatives on clear timelines. Additionally, they identify areas of strategic technical debt, do the cost/benefit analysis for resolving the debt, and communicate suggested timelines for prioritizing this to the management team.
At BookNook You Will
- Supervise and mentor a team of engineers, and help drive engineering culture within the organization.
- Build, test, scale, support, and frequently refine new products and services.
- Own what you build through the entire product lifecycle.
- Tackle a wide variety of coding challenges throughout the stack and contribute to all parts of our codebase.
- Build a platform that teaches reading to thousands of children every day.
- Be surrounded by a great team of highly talented professionals doing the best work of their lives, and having fun with it.
You are a good fit for this role if you have
- 5+ years of experience shipping high-quality web-based software
- We run a React/Redux-based static frontend, but we welcome experience with other frameworks and technology stacks.
- Deep expertise in backend technologies, including frameworks such as NodeJS or Django, relational databases, SQL, data modeling, API design, testing, performance optimization, etc.
- We run a Nodejs / Postgres stack that leverages Google Firebase for real-time sync.
- Experience deploying and maintaining software in cloud environments. We host our services on Heroku, AWS, and Google Cloud.
- Passion for learning and tackling new and exciting technical challenges.
- Someone who cares about the user experience and be driven by solving real-world problems.
- Someone who embraces the agile development process and lean startup approach, grounded in metrics and user data.
- A passion for teaching and our company mission. Many BookNook employees are former educators.
- Competitive base salary and equity stake
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Benefits
- Unlimited PTO and generous holiday schedule
- AD&D + Life Insurance
- Great work/life balance
- Fantastic team and fun remote work environment
Join a company with a mission. BookNook has been around since 2016, is growing fast, and has already helped tens of thousands of children improve their literacy, especially those that come from the most disadvantaged environments. We're a scrappy, smart team that gets things done but we are strong believers in family, friends, and work-life balance. Work on exciting technology and make a tangible difference in the world every day.