Engineering Manager, Backend
Oscar Health · New York, NY
At Oscar, we are re-envisioning healthcare by bringing technologists and industry experts together. We believe that great technology can revolutionize the operations and infrastructure underlying today’s healthcare and insurance systems, and is key to delivering transformative experiences for our members and the medical experts who provide their care. Oscar engineers work on some of the most challenging problems in tech — helping users navigate the complex health industry through beautiful user applications, elegant distributed system design, making sense of noisy data, statistical learning, and language theory. We invest in our people, our tools, and our processes so we can focus on solving big problems while learning from one another.
Management at Oscar:
People managers are also technical leaders at Oscar — it’s part of our cultural identity. As such, we strive to support managers such that half of their time can be spent directly making technical contributions on architectural plans, helpful code reviews, and writing their own code. A manager doesn’t have to be the strongest technical contributor on their team, but we expect managers to be able to produce technical work at a senior level and to have a strong sense of what “good” technical performance looks like, at both the individual and team levels.
If people management is not for you, we support a parallel career track focusing on technical leadership without the management responsibilities. You can be a tech lead for a team or large project without being a manager, though the roles often overlap.
Specific management responsibilities include:
- Coaching and mentorship. Ensure everyone on your team is getting clear, constructive, and frequent feedback on their work and that they have the support they need to grow as technical contributors.
- Career development. Understand the aspirations of your teammates and help them to take on more responsibility for the work they are most passionate about.
- Team execution. You are ultimately responsible for the overall performance of your team, which can be minimally defined as “ensuring the right objectives for the team are established, and that they are met at the right time”. But we’d really like you to help your team knock it out of the park.
You won’t be on your own. Engineering management is a critical and complex role that we take very seriously at Oscar and we support each other to do it well.
- You have 7+ years of software engineering experience, including prior management experience.
- You make the people and teams around you better through mentorship, collaboration, and guiding developers towards best practices.
- You believe that team performance is even more important than individual performance, and have a track record of leading and managing high-functioning teams.
- You understand the “inclusion” part of Diversity & Inclusion and can help us improve and maintain a great culture where the best ideas prevail.
Above all else, you demonstrate:
- A friendly, thoughtful, and kind approach.
- Humility, maturity, and lack of ego.
- An open mind, while ready with a point of view.
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds and perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, and we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, and volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team ([email protected]) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy:
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.