Engineering Manager, Fullstack
Oscar Health · New York, NY
Hi, we're Oscar. We’re hiring an Engineering Manager for Web/Mobile to join our Engineering team in our New York City office.
Oscar is a technology-driven, consumer-focused health insurance startup founded in 2012 and headquartered in New York City. Our goal is to make health insurance simple, transparent, and human. We need your help to do so.
About this role:
You will manage the engineering team building engaging web and mobile experiences for members who are looking to find doctors and plan out their medical care. Example projects below:
- Building tools that leverage our claims system and allow users to estimate the full cost of care for medical procedures before they even set foot in a doctor's office
- Working with product, designers, and multiple engineering teams to redesign our provider search experience to be visually pleasing, easily configurable, and highly usable
- Using our experimentation platform to iteratively develop new features that encourage users to utilize low cost, high quality care options, like our brand-new virtual primary care offering
Management at Oscar:
People managers are also technical leaders at Oscar — it’s part of our cultural identity. As such, we aim to support managers such that half of their time can be spent directly making technical contributions on architectural plans, helpful code reviews, and writing their own code. A manager doesn’t have to be the strongest technical contributor on their team, but we expect managers to produce technical work at a senior level and to have a sense of what “good” technical performance looks like, at both the individual and team levels.
If people management is not for you, we support a parallel career track focusing on technical leadership without the management responsibilities. You can be a tech lead for a team or large project without being a manager, though the roles often overlap.
- Mentorship. Ensure everyone on your team is getting clear, constructive, and frequent feedback on their work and that they have the support they need to grow as technical contributors.
- Career development. Understand the aspirations of your teammates and help them to lead the work they are most passionate about.
- Team execution. You manage the performance of your team, which can be minimally defined as “ensuring the right goals for the team are established, and that they are met at the right time”. But we’d really like you to help your team excel.
You won’t be on your own. Engineering management is an important and complex role that we take very seriously at Oscar and we support each other to do it well.
- You have 6+ years of software engineering experience, including prior management experience.
- You make the people and teams around you better through mentorship, collaboration, and guiding developers towards best practices.
- You believe that team performance is even more important than individual performance, and have experience managing high-functioning teams.
- You understand the “inclusion” part of Diversity & Inclusion and can help us maintain a great culture where the best ideas prevail.
Anything else is a bonus. We believe diversity is an essential ingredient in building something great. All backgrounds welcome.
Life at Oscar:
At Oscar, being an Equal Opportunity Employer means more than upholding discrimination-free hiring practices. It means that we cultivate an environment where people can be their most authentic selves and find both belonging and support. We're on a mission to change health care -- an experience made whole by our unique backgrounds and perspectives.
We encourage our members to care for their whole selves, and we encourage our employees to do the same with comprehensive medical benefits, generous paid-time off, paid parental leave, retirement plans, company social events, stocked kitchens, wellness programs, and volunteer opportunities.
Oscar applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Oscar applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Oscar Benefits Team ([email protected]) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Pay Transparency Policy
Oscar ensures that you won't be discharged or discriminated against based on whether you've inquired about, discussed, or disclosed your pay. Read the full policy here.