National Council on Teacher Quality · Remote
At the National Council on Teacher Quality (NCTQ), we rely on unique, powerfully insightful education policy data to strengthen teacher quality across the country - and we’re seeking an experienced Data Director to help amplify our impact.
Our ideal hire is a senior leader who is both a strategist and a technologist; someone who can thoughtfully design data systems and build them. You’ll wear many hats in this role but much of your focus will be on building out our data strategy--from data design to ETL processes. Beyond technical prowess, you’ll need the soft skills it takes to build organizational workflows and culture around documentation, processing, and analysis.
This is a new role for us. As our organization’s data steward, you will have a great deal of autonomy defining our future data strategy and systems.
- Lead our organization-wide data redesign, creating and implementing data architectures and data models.
- Lead a system-level migration from legacy databases (and data entry applications) to a new, comprehensive, extensible data warehouse that can readily serve to-be-defined public data products. (Our current MySQL databases store under 3 GB of data; data is updated manually by data analysts on a rolling basis. You’ll advise on what technologies and tools we use in the future.)
- Build the organization’s new practices and culture around data workflows, documentation, and management.
- Collaborate with teammates to launch data products for the public, with users ranging from academics to journalists to policymakers to teachers.
We are looking for a senior strategist and director who can both lead data design and implement that design. To be exceptional in this role, you need experience:
- Defining and implementing data strategy for small data-centric organizations.
- Leading a system-level data design, including data architecture development and data modelling.
- Building organizational workflows and culture around documentation, processing, and analysis.
- Coding ETL processes/pipelines and data warehouses.
- Leading a system-level data migration, preferably from MySQL databases.
- Building systems of data entry and collection; our data entry is largely manual so we need human-facing systems for collection.
- Defining quality assurance and data governance practices, and working across functional teams to implement them.
- Managing data systems that are focused on serving data to internal and external users in clear, consumable ways.
We’d also love it if you have:
- Experience with higher education and/or K12 education data.
- Experience managing data systems create and manage scored values and portfolios.
The NCTQ team cares deeply about our mission: we want every child to have an effective teacher, and we want every teacher to have the opportunity to be effective.
We are the largest non-governmental source of teacher workforce data in the country. Education leaders turn to us for guidance on everything from teacher compensation and evaluation to navigating COVID. We’ve been collecting, storing, analyzing, and reporting teacher quality data that has eluded others (including Congress) for 20 years.
Our team has deep content expertise, and we have achieved a great deal with our organic growth. Now, we’re looking to invest in the people and systems to make our data more open and our processes more mature, efficient, scalable, and transparent.
Who you will work with
In this role, you will be in our organization’s senior leadership team and the ‘voice of data’ in our strategic and operations planning.
You will have direct access to senior leaders at NCTQ and our talented national advisory board made up of K12 leaders and data systems experts. At this time, this role will report to the Chief of Strategy & Operations, who oversees our strategic initiatives.
Day-to-day, this role will work closely with a senior engineering lead to build our new data infrastructure and the reporting products that sit on top of it. You will also work closely with our content experts in the Policy and Programs team, as well as consultants supporting the definition and design of future data products.
You will also engage with external stakeholders, like our advisory board(s) and funders, about our data stewardship and strategy.
What we offer
We are a remote-first organization.
We offer competitive compensation commensurate with experience and an attractive benefits package, including:
- 3 weeks paid vacation (use is respected and encouraged!) plus 14 paid holidays, which includes the week between Christmas and New Year's
- 100% of health insurance monthly premium covered by NCTQ (for base HMO plan, includes health/vision/dental)
- Retirement contribution match up to 6%
- Initial office set-up covered, plus monthly cell/internet stipends and quarterly office supplies stipends to support your remote work environment
It is important for us to keep our remote team connected and thriving. We hold virtual weekly team meetings, bi-weekly all staff meetings, and monthly happy hours, as well as quarterly in-person retreats (pandemic permitting).