Engineering Manager, Platform UX
Komodo Health · New York, NY
We Breathe Life Into Data!
At Komodo Health, our mission is to reduce the global burden of disease. Smarter use of data is essential to this mission. We combine the world’s most comprehensive view of patient encounters with innovative algorithms and decades of clinical expertise to power our Healthcare Map, the industry’s most precise view of the U.S. healthcare system. With the Healthcare Map as our foundation, we offer a suite of powerful software applications that deliver exceptional value to the industry.
Our people are the center of our success. We are a smart, supportive team with diverse perspectives and a shared passion for fixing what’s broken in healthcare. It’s fun, challenging and important. Join us!
The Opportunity at Komodo Health
As Engineering Manager of the visualization composer application within Komodo’s platform services, you’ll provide strategic, technical, and people leadership toward prototyping and productionalizing a dynamic UI/UX to allow clients to build and publish visualizations from a library of metrics and components. You’ll be instrumental in providing technical guidance toward the creation of a clear, dynamic, and delightful UX around Superset and a library of visual components. You will closely collaborate with Product Management to develop a strategic product roadmap, handle tactical planning, and own key technical decisions for challenging problems. The leadership and coaching you provide will grow our engineers, empower them to do their best work, and improve our development processes. You will foster a culture of collaboration, trust, and technical expertise while raising the bar for trust in our data assets both internally and across our client base.
Looking back on your first 12 months at Komodo Health, you will have:
- Managed and delivered on key initiatives such as prototyping the web experience for the visualization composer, deployed and integrated Superset, and helped drive further expansion of the product roadmap.
- Leveraged your previous experience in successfully delivering web applications that delight and engage end users.
- Successfully worked across platform teams to leverage authn/authz, RBAC, and higher-order analytics services in delivering site functionality.
- Partnered with other teams across the Engineering organization and closely with Product Management, Program Management, and Technical Leads to weigh in on project priorities, project estimation, and risk identification for roadmap projects.
- Collaborated on new feature technical architecture design reviews while defining a strong long term technical strategy aligned with industry best practices.
- Actively coached and inspired your team with timely and actionable feedback synthesized from peer feedback.
- Collaborated with Product Managers, Data Engineers and Data Scientists to implement data validation and/or data quality enhancements.
- Discussed and planned your team’s individual career goals around professional growth and technical expertise.
- Contributed to hiring and growing the team by recruiting engineers and improving our hiring processes.
What You Bring to Komodo
- Engineering management experience with customer facing applications in high-growth engineering organizations directly managing and growing ‘two pizza’ engineering teams.
- You have in-depth experience with all aspects of delivering cloud-native (AWS preferred) web applications, CI/CD best practices, meeting user SLAs, etc.
- Experience collaborating with Product and Engineering teams to build a high-level roadmap and vision for a team delivering against a collaboratively defined roadmap.
- A deep understanding of how cross-functional teams work at a software product company and experience managing such teams.
- Understand and design for non-functional concerns such as performance, cost optimization, and maintainability
- Experience leading recruiting initiatives, as well as growing and organizing engineering teams.
- Ability to work as part of an agile collaborative team in a fast-paced environment.
- Significant experience with React / Redux, ideally with experience with Router and Sagas/Thunks
- Experience with some form of the SVG framework - D3/Highcharts/ReactCharts
- Experience with modern caching patterns and approaches leveraging Elasticache, Redis, Elasticsearch, or others
- Working knowledge of with Python
- Working knowledge of XHR module such as axios or fetch
- Working knowledge of ES6 & ES7
- Understand and design for non-functional concerns such as performance, cost optimization, maintainability and developer experience.