PBS · Remote (USA)
Public InfrastructurePosted 3 months ago
Please note: This position is fully funded through September 30, 2022, and will be renewed on receipt of additional federal appropriations approval annually through September 30, 2025.
PBS KIDS Engineering is looking for an Engineer to support the PBS KIDS Games Team. With a growing catalog of over 200 educational HTML5 games, our games reach an audience of millions of children around the U.S. on PBSKIDS.org and the PBS KIDS Games App. The Engineer will partner with engineering, design, and product management teams, to execute technical strategy while developing and maintaining a suite of educational game focused products.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborating with designers to build and implement highly interactive and fun educational experiences.
- Collaborating with in-house, remote, and contractor teams to take requirements and transform them into public-facing and internal applications.
- Maintaining knowledge of software quality best practices and industry trends (particularly regarding testing and code standards in game development).
- Exploring new and innovative technologies to create state of the art enjoyable educational tools.
- SpringRoll, our open source HTML5 game development library and ecosystem.
- PBS KIDS Games App, a mobile application, built using the Cordova framework, that allows kids to download hundreds of games to take on the go, and play online or offline.
- PBS Kids Alexa Skills, voice activated skills that encourage healthy and educational experiences for kids, parents, and educators.
Requirements for success:
- Bachelor’s degree in Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work/Bootcamp experience.
- Previous experience writing code.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, across technical and non-technical groups, as well as strong listening and presentation skills.
- Experience juggling multiple projects and priorities while maintaining deadlines.
- Resourceful and creative problem solving skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- HTML and CSS
- Game rendering engines (Phaser, PIXI, EaselJS, etc)
- The desire to learn and have a ton of fun while doing so!
- Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire to be considered. Proof of vaccination required.
PBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer in accordance with the EEOC and the Commonwealth of Virginia.